Recipe Idea: Brussels Sprouts Almandine
Don here. Rummaging through the freezer to see what veggies we had, I came across a bag of Brussels sprouts. Lois and I had talked about having Green Beans Almandine but alas I didn’t find the green beans. So not to be deterred, I created this tasty dish using the Brussels sprouts.
- 2 C Brussels sprouts – I like the smaller tender ones
- 1 T olive oil or unsalted butter
- 1 T chopped onion
- 1 T slivered almonds
- ¼ t freshly ground nutmeg
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cook the Brussels sprouts either in a steamer over boiling water (7 minutes or so) or in the microwave (5 minutes or so) until just tender.
- In the meantime, heat the onion in the oil or butter until it is softened but not yet brown.
- Add the almonds and sauté a few more minutes.
- Arrange the Brussels sprouts in a single layer over top of the onions and almonds.
- Continue to cook over medium to low heat.
- Sprinkle the nutmeg, salt and pepper over the top.
- Cover and cook for several more minutes until the sprouts are heated through and have browned on the bottom.
- Remove to a serving dish.[br][url href=”http://recipeideashop.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/RIS_LOGO-22-e1436274250987.jpg”][img src=”http://recipeideashop.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/RIS_LOGO-22-e1436274250987.jpg” width=”300″ height=”62″ class=”alignleft size-full” title=”RIS_LOGO-2″][/url]