Recipe Idea: South Beach Cheesy Frittata, Perfect for Saturday Morning
Hi. It’s Lois at Recipe Idea Shop, telling you about Don’s South Beach Cheesy Frittata. Don made the best Cheesy Frittata for breakfast. It takes a bit of time to make it, but it’s really good and worth the effort! You need to watch it carefully when it’s on the stove. Lots of good protein, too. Serve it with a little fruit and some toast.
I find that a frittata is a good breakfast for a weekend morning. We always take a little more time with breakfast when we don’t have to rush off to work. Cutting up the vegetables the night before can save you time in the morning, which would make it easier to make on a work day.
Read on for recipe and nutrition…
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ cup sliced onion
- ½ diced red bell pepper
- ½ cup diced zucchini
- 2 small plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup Egg Beaters
- ½ cup 1% cottage cheese
- ¼ cup milk
- ¾ ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- Coat a cast iron 10" skillet (or another oven-proof skillet) with olive oil and heat over medium-low heat until hot.
- Sauté the onion, red pepper and zucchini until the vegetables are lightly browned (2-3 minutes).
- Add the tomatoes, basil and pepper and stir to combine.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes and remove from the heat.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Combine Egg Beaters, cottage cheese and milk in a blender; blend until smooth.
- Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables.
- Cover and cook on medium-low heat until the bottom is set and the top is slightly wet.
- Put the skillet under the broiler and broil until the top is set (2-3 minutes).
- Sprinkle with cheese and boil until the cheese melts.