RECIPE IDEA: Gluten Free Snickerdoodle Coffee Cake
This is a quick and easy coffee cake that everyone loves. It originally comes from one of my favorite basic cookbooks, James Beard’s American Cookery. I modified this version to be gluten-free, and added some fruit and nuts to make it more interesting. If you prefer a regular wheat version, try Snickerdoodle Coffee Cake.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Baking Mix
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 egg
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1 cup milk or dairy free milk
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup dried cherries
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400F degrees. Mix ingredients in order listed. After you melt the butter, add the milk to the butter to cool it off, and then dump both into the cake. Mix until smooth. Pour the batter into 9" x 13" greased pan. Mix the topping ingredients separately and sprinkle over the top of the cake. The "topping" will sink to the bottom. Bake for about 25 minutes. Serve warm or cold.
- Alternate directions:
- If you prefer the topping to stay on top of the cake and not sink to the bottom, bake the cake for about 10 minutes before putting the topping on. After sprinkling the topping over the cake, return it to the oven and bake another 15 minutes.