Recipe Idea: Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Hi. It’s Lois at Recipe Idea Shop, talking about Pineapple Upside Down Cake. Pineapple Upside Down Cake has always been one of my favorite cakes—until we discovered Gingerbread Pineapple Upside Down Cake (which is even better)!
The combination of fruit and cake really hits the spot. If my mom didn’t make Confetti Angel Food Cake for me for my birthday, she made this. Being a mom of the 50s and 60s, she took the easy way out, though, and used a box mix. (And I understand why since I have never been able to make an Angelfood Cake from scratch.
This from-scratch Pineapple Upside Down Cake is easy and delicious. Trust me. You’re gonna love it. It’s so pretty and scrumptious.
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- ¾ cup of brown sugar
- 7 rings of canned pineapple
- About a dozen or so maraschino cherry halves, 7 pecan halves, or both.
- ½ cup of butter, softened
- ¾ cup of sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1¼ cups flour
- Heat the butter in the skillet until it melts.
- Swirl the skillet to coat part way up the sides.
- Cover the bottom of the skillet with the brown sugar.
- Place the pineapple rings over the brown sugar around the edge and one in the center of the skillet. Place a maraschino cherry half in the center of each pineapple ring (all with the round side down) and add more in between the rings if you want.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees.
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Mix in the egg, milk and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl mix the remaining dry ingredients.
- Fold the dry ingredients mixture into the liquid mixture.
- Mix well and pour it over top of the pineapple rings.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and let it rest for a minute, no longer.
- You may find it helpful to loosen the cake with a table knife from the outside edge of the pan before you do the next step.
- Place the serving platter over the skillet and turn the whole thing upside down to reveal the dark brown gingerbread topped with pineapple rings and cherries or pecans.
- Let cool and serve just how it is or add whipped cream for elegance.