Recipe Idea: Roasted Beets
Don here. It’s early summer in the Shenandoah Valley and the sustainable and organic farmers are harvesting root crops. Beets are a favorite at our table. So Lois bought about 10 lbs at the Farmer’s Market this morning. Plenty for tonight’s Roasted Beet Salad and to freeze. This recipe works with any quantity of beets as long as you roast them in a single layer.
- 1 pound fresh beets
- 2 T olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Wash the beets and remove the roots and tops.
- Dip the beets in olive oil to give a light coating.
- Place them in a roaster or on a roasting pan covered with foil.
- Bake 60 to 90 minutes until a fork easily pierces the beet all the way to the center.
- Remove from the roaster and let cool naturally or in a colander covered with ice.
- When cool, the skins will peel off easily in your hand.
- Save the beets by freezing in meal size batches or use right away in your favorite recipe.[br][url href=”http://recipeideashop.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/RIS_LOGO-22-e1436274250987.jpg”][img src=”http://recipeideashop.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/RIS_LOGO-22-e1436274250987.jpg” width=”300″ height=”62″ class=”alignleft size-full” title=”RIS_LOGO-2″][/url]