Recipe Idea: Vegan Stuffed Eggplant
This Vegan Stuffed Eggplant recipe was inspired by a similar recipe in Vegetarian Times. I love that magazine. The recipes are always beautiful, interesting and unique. And most of the time they are easy. I garnished my Stuffed Eggplant with Avocado Salsa, which added a lovely depth to the dish and just 61 extra calories.
I like to make this recipe in individual casserole dishes sometimes. Simple, yet elegant, white casserole dishes allow me to serve the Vegan Stuffed Eggplant without having to re-plate it.
I can’t say that I am overly fond of eggplant, but this recipe was delicious. The eggplant is stuffed with lentils, mushrooms and rice. It is filling and good for you. It also freezes well, which I was happy to discover because when I made it, I has about to have surgery for a macular hole and needed foods I could pull from the freezer to simply heat up.
Read on for recipe and nutrition…
- 2 medium eggplants, halved lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 pound button mushrooms, chopped
- ½ cup cooked wild rice
- 2/3 cup crisp cooked green lentils
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- [url href=”http://recipeideashop.com/avocado-tomato-salsa/” target=”_blank”]Avocado Salsa[/url] to garnish
- Heat oven to 450 F degrees.
- Lightly score the edge of the eggplant ¼ inch all the way around the cut side.
- Lightly oil a cookie sheet or pan and heat in the oven for 2 minutes.
- Place the eggplants cut side down on the hot pan.
- Bake 10 minutes.
- Flip the eggplants over and lightly coat with oil.
- Return them to the oven for another 15 minutes or so, until the flesh is tender. Let cool a few minutes.
- Heat the remaining oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Sauté the onion until beginning to brown.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and continue cooking for 3-5 minutes until tender.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl. Mix the rice, lentils, pine nuts, allspice and cayenne.
- Scoop out the eggplant flesh, leaving ¼ inch of flesh around the outside, and add the flesh to the bowl.
- Mix and return the mixture to the eggplant skins. Bake at 400 F degrees 15 minutes. Top with fresh mint and [url href=”http://recipeideashop.com/avocado-tomato-salsa/” target=”_blank”]Avocado Salsa[/url].