Recipe Idea: Basic Waffles with Optional Extras
Hi. It’s Lois in the kitchen at Recipe Idea Shop. This recipe comes from one of our favorite cookbooks, Joy of Cooking. We give you three choices to prepare this recipe: use 4 tablespoons butter for a reduced-fat waffle, 8 tablespoons for a basic light and fluffy waffle; or 16 tablespoons for the crunchiest most delicious waffle imaginable.
I, of course, like the one with the most fat. To my credit, however, I do not add butter when I eat it. I like my waffles with a little jam, some bananas and just a smidgen of maple syrup. How do you like yours?
Read on for recipe and nutrition information…
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, well beaten
- 4 to 16 tablespoons (1/2 to 2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 ½ cups milk
- ½ cup plump raisins or other very finely diced soft dried fruit
- ½ cup finely chopped nuts, toasted
- ½ thinly sliced ripe banana
- ½ cup crumbled cooked bacon
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- ¼ cup shredded sweetened dried coconut
- 1/3 cup grated semisweet or milk chocolate
- [b][u]Serve with:[/u][/b]
- Pure maple syrup or jam
- Pats of butter
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- Whisk together in a large bowl: the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, butter and milk.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients.
- Gently whisk them together with a few swift strokes. (The batter should have a pebbled look, similar to a muffin batter.)
- If you wish, fold in one or more of the optional ingredients listed above.
- Spoon ½ cup batter (or the amount recommended by your waffle iron’s manufacturer) onto the hot iron.
- Spread the batter to within 1/3 inch of the edge of the grids, using the back of a metal spatula, wooden spoon or ladle.
- Close the lid and bake until the waffle is golden brown, about 6 minutes.
- Serve immediately with butter, maple syrup, fruit, applesauce, jam or powdered sugar.
- To keep warm before serving, place the waffles in a single layer on a rack in a 200F degree oven until ready to serve.