Recipe Idea: Blueberry Compote, sweet, tangy, just right!
Hi there. Don here at Recipe Idea Shop. When the blueberries come in season in the Shenandoah Valley, they really come in. Our friends the Johnson’s have big, plump blueberries—as do some of the other vendors—at the Harrisonburg Farmers’ Market. We usually buy many more blueberries than we can eat while they are in season. We make a variety of desserts, including Crumbly Top Blueberry Pie, Don’s Best Blueberry Pie and Blueberry Buckle. Lois eats blueberries on her cereal while they are in season, too. As good as blueberries are, though, we can only eat so many and we don’t like them to go to waste.
Lois takes the abundance of blueberries, sorts and washes them. After they dry, she puts them in single layers on a cookie sheet and into the freezer. Once frozen, they are stored in zip lock bags in the freezer, ready for mornings like today. As Lois was making Buckwheat Pancakes this morning, she looked at me and asked how to make Blueberry Compote. I guess I made it for her years ago, but I forgot. A quick Internet search on the iPad and SIRI led me to Ellie Krieger’s quick recipe for Blueberry Compote, which of course, I modified a bit by adding a cinnamon stick for that extra zing of flavor.
- 2 C fresh or frozen blueberries
- ¼ C sugar
- 3 T water
- 2 t lemon juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- In a small saucepan combine 1 C of blueberries with all of the other ingredients.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and, stirring frequently, cook for 15 minutes.
- The compote will start to thicken.
- Add the rest of the blueberries and continue to stir and cook for another 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Remove the cinnamon stick.
- Serve warm on buckwheat pancakes for breakfast or over ice cream for a snack or dessert.
- If you let it cool to room temperature or in the refrigerator, it will thicken more and you can spread it on homemade English muffins or on croissants. [br] [url href=”https://recipeideashop.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/RIS_LOGO-22-e1436274250987.jpg”][img src=”https://recipeideashop.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/RIS_LOGO-22-e1436274250987.jpg” width=”300″ height=”62″ class=”alignleft size-full” title=”RIS_LOGO-2″][/url]