Coconut Carrot Ginger Soup is a deliciously savory vegan soup that takes less than an hour to make.
This lovely vegan meal, Coconut Carrot Ginger Soup, is perfect for a cold winter’s day. I love a good soup for lunch, don’t you? Add a piece of crusty artisan bread and a green salad, and you’re all set.
A recent weekend day was cold and sunny—the perfect day for this meal! Don found this recipe years ago through Sharon O’Connor’s Menus and Music Production newsletter. I modified it based on what ingredients I had, including adding more carrots and ginger, and it was very good. The ginger gives it a nice bite and the coconut smooths and deeps the flavors. If you don’t like coconut, you can substitute milk or cream.
What You Need
For this recipe, you will need a Dutch oven or soup pot, a sauté pan, measuring cups and spoons, knife, cutting board and vegetable peeler. And of course, some lovely dishes and stemware.
Coconut Ginger Carrot Soup Recipe
Coconut Carrot Ginger Soup
- 8 carrots (about 1 pound, peeled)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion (diced, about a cup)
- 1 tablespoon peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 1 15 & 1/2 ounce can coconut milk
- 2 cups vegetable broth (Can be made from 2 cups water plus 2 vegetable bouillon cubes)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste, or about 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper)
- fresh green onion (i.e., scallion, thinly sliced for garnish, white & tender green parts only, optional)
- yogurt (optional garnish)
- Cut 1 carrot into ﬁne dice and set aside; slice the remaining carrots in rounds.
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch Oven over medium heat.
- Sauté the onion for 5 minutes, or until golden.
- Stir in the ginger and sliced carrots.
- Add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the carrots are tender.
Transfer the soup to a blender or food processor and purée. Or use an immersion blender.
- Return the soup to the pan and stir in the coconut milk, diced carrot, salt (if desired) and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the diced carrot is tender.
- To serve, ladle into soup bowls. Garnish with a dollop of yogurt and sliced green onions.
Affiliate Disclosure: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook and a printable grocery shopping list.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Carrot Lemon Thyme Soup
- Butternut Squash Soup
- Smokin’ Butternut Squash Soup
- Harvest Butternut Squash Soup
- Vegan Gluten Free Butternut Squash Soup
- Gingery Butternut Squash Soup
- Butternut Squash Vichyssoise Soup