French Barley Salad, a Moosewood recipe, is terrific as a main dish or side dish for any picnic or meal you serve. Chewy barley, crisp green beans, beautiful carrots, and more. Simple recipe. Add it to your #recipe-repertoire.
French Barley Salad, Amazing Whole Grain Dish
Hi. It’s Lois in the kitchen at Recipe Idea Shop. This French Barley Salad is unique, interesting, and so delicious. I love to share it at picnics, potlucks or just have available to eat for lunch.
This French Barley Salad recipe is delightful, especially with carrots from the Harrisonburg Farmer’s Market. It is an excellent main dish salad, or use it as a side dish. It needs time to marinate to mix the flavors. I suggest you cook extra barley when you make it the first time and freeze the cooked barley so all you have to do is thaw it and follow the rest of the instructions. It will save you time.
I have always loved barley. I remember as a child, I liked Campbell’s Vegetable Beef Soup because it had barley in it. I was an adult, of course, before I knew the name for barley.
Now that I’m doing my best to be dairy-free (because dairy causes my joint pain), I am trying more vegan recipes. I especially like to try ones with good, hearty grains in them. Note: Barley is one of those grains that is “iffy” regarding gluten. It is not considered gluten-free. Although I generally eat gluten-free, I am able to eat this grain. If you are affected by celiac disease, you should avoid barley.
This recipe comes from the Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special cookbook. I love Moosewood Collective cookbooks. The recipes are always outstanding. If you don’t have Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special, get yourself one. Such good recipes.
What You Need
French Barley Salad Recipe
French Barley Salad
Whole grains, fresh vegetables and a deliciously easy vinaigrette.
- 1/2 cup pearled barley
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup white mushrooms (quartered)
- 1 cup peeled (diced carrots, cooked crisp)
- 1 cup cut green beans trimmed, halved and cooked crisp)
- 1 cup diced red or yellow bell peppers
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons walnut oil (or olive oil or canola oil)
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried dill (or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a small heavy sauce pan on low heat, roast the barley until fragrant and beginning to brown.
- Add the water, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and cook over low heat until the water is absorbed and the barley is soft, about 40 minutes.
- While the barley is cooking, whisk together all of the dressing ingredients and pour 1/2 the dressing over the mushrooms.
Set mushrooms aside and allow to marinate for a few minutes.
- Blanch the carrots in boiling water about one minute.
- Drain and set aside to cool.
- Blanch the green beans in boiling water for about 3 minutes.
- Drain and set aside to cool.
- Mix the carrots, green beans, diced bell pepper, and parsley.
- Add the marinated mushrooms to the carrot mixture and mix.
- In a skillet heat the oil and saute the walnuts until they are coated and starting to turn brown. Don't let them burn!
Remove walnuts from heat and let cool.
- When the barley is tender, drain it in a colander.
- Add the drained barley and the remaining dressing to the bowl of vegetables and mix well.
- Allow the salad to sit for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Just before serving, toss the walnuts into the salad and mix.
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime (Shop Amazon — Give the Gift of Amazon Prime) account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
French Barley Salad Nutrition
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook.
Pin & Share!
Please Pin and share our recipes. And tell us what you think in the comments.
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Barley Apple Walnut Salad
- Barley with Green Beans Parmesan
- Barley Risotto
- White Bean and Barley Stew
- Chicken Squash and Barley Casserole
BEFORE YOU GO, DID YOU GRAB YOUR FREE COOKBOOK?