Gluten Free Lemon Cake is a scrumptious breakfast or dessert cake.
A few years ago my daughter Erin and I went to a cooking class at a Milwaukee restaurant/culinary school called Braise, where we learned how to make a flourless lemon cake. This light and fluffy Gluten Free Lemon Cake is a modification of the flourless cake we made in class. It is made with potato starch instead of flour. The Gluten Free Lemon Cake is excellent as a dessert, topped with a few berries and whipped cream. I also enjoy it plain with my coffee as a breakfast pastry.
The original recipe called for mint and rosemary, but I eliminated these spices, making it a simple Lemon Cake because Erin thought the rosemary was overpowering. I thought it was delicious with the other spices, but I like it better as a simple Lemon Cake. The texture is so airy, I can hardly believe it is gluten free.
There were only four other students in the class, taught by two chefs. Erin and Julie have taken a few classes at the facility, including one on knife skills. Now, I could use a class on that!
It was fun to learn how to make the cake so that it was airy. I will use the technique again. It makes such a wonderful cake. And all you have to do is separate the eggs, add the yolks to the batter, beat the whites in a different bowl until stiff, and fold the whites into the batter in two batches—the first, rather roughly, and the second, gently folding them in. Result: What a difference in texture!
We didn’t have electric mixers since we were only making two little cakes, so whipping the egg whites was a bit challenging. But we managed to do it. Erin and I took turns beating the whites until they were stiff. We got our workout!
What You Need
It’s so much easier to whip egg whites with an electric mixer. I have a KitchenAid mixer like the one below, and it’s terrific. I also like a good Hamilton Beach hand mixer for smaller batches. If you don’t have a mixer, I suggest you start with the portable one and move up to the stand mixer when you can afford it. They really do come in handy. What you need for this recipe is an electric mixer, bowl, measuring cups and spoons and potato starch. Buy the best tools you can afford.
Gluten Free Lemon Cake Recipe
Gluten Free Lemon Cake
- 1 cup potato starch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup extra-fine granulated sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- Juice of 2 lemons about 1/4 cup
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 cup extra-fine granulated sugar
- Sift potato starch and baking powder. Set aside.
- Cream butter and 1 cup sugar until well incorporated, about doubled in size, and it turns whiter.
- Add yolks one at a time; scrape down sides.
- Add lemon zest and juice and mix until incorporated.
In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites until frothy.
Add 1/4 cup sugar to the egg whites a little at a time and whip until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the egg yolk/butter mixture. Fold in 1/2 the egg whites and incorporate well.
- Fold in the remaining egg whites and mix gently until well combined.
- Butter the ramekin and lightly dust with a bit of sugar.
- Spoon the batter into the ramekins until they are half filled.
- Place in a cold oven. Turn temperature to 350F degrees.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until cakes are beginning to brown slightly.
- Cool for 5 minutes. Remove from ramekins and serve with fresh berries and whipped cream.
Affiliate Disclosure: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook and a printable grocery shopping list.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Old Fashioned Crazy Cake
- My Favorite Chocolate Cake
- Gluten Free Chocolate Cupcakes
- Gingerbread Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- Coconut Cupcakes (Gluten Free)
- Easy Cherry Almond Coffee Cake