Green Beans, Walnuts and Shallot Crisps is a simple side dish you can make in just 25 minutes. Everything is cooked crisp and dressed with a tangy sweet vinaigrette. You will love it.
This warm salad of caramelized, toasty shallots, crispy green beans, bitter walnuts and a sweet, yet tangy vinaigrette is a delicious way to eat your vegetables. The recipe originally comes from Vegetarian Times, and is a quick side dish for any meal. We paired this with Mushroom Strudel and Sweet Potato Fries for a vegetarian meal that we loved.
What You Need
You need knives, a cutting board, measuring cups and spoons, a wire whisk, vegetable steamer and a sauté pan. But do yourself a favor and buy yourself a whole set of marvelous pans. You’ll never regret it.
Green Beans with Walnuts and Shallot Crisps Recipe
Green Beans with Walnuts and Shallot Crisps
- 5 large shallots 1/2 lb, peeled and sliced into thin rings
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 pounds green beans trimmed
- 3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 cup toasted chopped walnuts 1/2 lb.
Make the Shallot Crisps
- Spread shallot rings on paper towel, sprinkle with salt.
- Cover with another paper towel.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- Blot excess moisture from shallots.
- Heat oil in small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add shallots, and fry, stirring frequently, 2-4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Pour shallots and oil through a fine mesh strainer or remove shallots with a slotted spoon.
- Spread shallots on paper towels to drain and cool.
Cook the Green Beans
Trim the beans, cut to about 1-2 inch long pieces, and steam in a vegetable steamer for about 5 minutes until crisp tender.
My trick is to put the beans in the top of the steamer pot, bring it to a boil, and turn it off, leaving it on the burner until ready to eat. They are usually perfectly tender when you are ready to put everything together.
Toast the Walnuts
Place the walnuts in a dry pan and heat over medium heat, stirring frequently until slightly crisp. Or, simply broil them in your toaster oven for the length of time you would toast a piece of toast.
Watch carefully. They burn easily.
Make the Vinaigrette
Whisk the vinegar, mustard, maple syrup and oil until emulsified.
Put it Together
Toss the steamed green beans with the shallot crisps and vinaigrette.
Top with toasted walnuts and serve.
Affiliate Disclosure: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook and a printable grocery shopping list.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Green Beans Almandine
- Green Beans and Tomato Salad
- Southern Green Bean Casserole
- Northern Green Bean Casserole
- Barley with Green Beans Parmesan