Green Tomato Chutney is simple to make in a slow cooker, super flavorful and keeps a long time. You'll want to have this on hand to dress up your meal.
Green Tomato Chutney is a slow cooker recipe you're gonna love
I cleaned out my garden last weekend and we had tons of green tomatoes on the vine. Don made Fried Green Tomatoes and we still had lots of them to use for something else. So I looked for some interesting recipes and I found this slow-cooker recipe for Green Tomato Chutney, which is absolutely amazing! We had it on chicken, and I also put it on my rice. Wow! The original recipe comes from Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker by Robin Robertson. She has terrific vegan recipes.
It lasts up to one month in a tightly-sealed container in the refrigerator. We canned a couple of pint jars of it for later, too, and those, of course, can be put in the pantry and kept for a year or more.
I have to admit, though, that I never peel or seed tomatoes. That seems like way too much work. I have also substituted tomatillos without peeling or seeding them, and it is even more delicious. To tomatillos give it a slight lemon flavor.
What You Need
You will need a slow cooker, of course, some jars to put it in, measuring cups and spoons, a ginger/lemon zester, and a knife. You'll also want to get golden raisins as they have a little lighter flavor.
Green Tomato Chutney Recipe
- 4 cups peeled seeded, and chopped green tomatoes (or tomatillos—I never seed or peel them!)
- 3 shallots or 4 green onions white and tender green parts only
- 1 cup golden raisins can substitute brown raisins or dried cranberries
- ¾ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoons peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Place all ingredients in a 3 ½-quart slow cooker (crockpot).
- Cover and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours.
- Remove the lid and let cool completely before storing in the refrigerator (or can it!)
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
Leave a Reply