Harvest Butternut Squash Soup is one recipe you are going to want to try, now that it’s squash season. Butternut squash is one of the best kinds of squash to use in soup.
It’s time for Harvest Butternut Squash Soup.
Can you say, “Yum?” This Harvest Butternut Squash Soup is a scrumptious, savory squash soup that’s good for you. It’s vegan, gluten free, and low carb. We had this for supper yesterday, along with some of my Gluten Free White Bread (the BEST GF bread recipe, IMHO) and a simple Green Salad. What a delicious meal. And even though it’s made from scratch, it only takes about 45 minutes.
What You Need
You’ll need measuring cups and spoons, a good soup pot or Dutch oven, knives, cutting board, garlic press, and an immersion blender. Trust me on this one. You really want this kind of blender. The first time I made this recipe, I didn’t have one and I had to use a regular blender. What a mess. But now I do. Well, technically, DON has an immersion blender since I gave it to him for Christmas a few years ago. But I use it. (Don’tcha just love giving Christmas presents that you can use?)
Harvest Butternut Squash Soup RecipePrint
Harvest Butternut Squash Soup
Savory Harvest Butternut Squash Soup. Easy. Low fat. Dairy free. Gluten free. The combination of spices makes it SO delicious.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Main Course, Soup
- Cuisine: American
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 2 cups)
- 2 medium potatoes (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium onion (about 1 cup, diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (about 1 teaspoon minced)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme (minced or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 2 teaspoons fresh sage (chopped or 1/2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage)
- 2 Tablespoons fresh basil (minced or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 13.5–ounce cans coconut milk ((about 3 cups; or any non-dairy milk))
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- Chopped parsley to garnish
- Peel the squash, cut in half, and remove the seeds. Then cube the squash.
- Peel the potatoes, cube them.
- Steam the squash and potato cubes until tender (about 15 minutes).
- While the squash and potato are steaming, peel and dice the onion.
- In a Dutch Oven or soup pot, heat the oil and sauté the diced onions until they are transparent, but not browned (5-10 minutes).
- Mince the garlic. (I use a good garlic press and don’t peel the garlic because the skin keeps the flesh from getting stuck in the holes.)
- Add the minced garlic to the onions and continue to cook for about 30 seconds.
- Mix in the spices.
- Add the wine and continue cooking for a minute or two, stirring to deglaze the pot.
- Add the squash, potatoes and one can of the coconut milk and continue cooking for about 5 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the mixture using the pulse function to purée until smooth.
- Add the remaining coconut milk and blend.
- Heat gently just before serving, and garnish with a bit of parsley.
NOTE: If you roast the squash instead of steaming it, it will deepen the flavor.
- Serving Size: About 1 cup Harvest Butternut Squash Soup
- Calories: 206
- Sugar: 1.9 g
- Sodium: 408.6 mg
- Fat: 28.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 22 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 12.9 g
- Fiber: 1.6 g
- Protein: 3.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: butternut squash soup, harvest butternut squash soup;
Sign Up For Updates To Get Tips, Recipes & Free Gifts
I think you’re gonna love our recipes and healthy, happy posts. Sign up for our email updates to get free gifts, recipes, happy thoughts, and tips for identifying and avoiding foods that are sabotaging your health.
Affiliate Disclosure: This website may contain affiliate marketing links, which means we may get paid commission on sales of those products or services we write about, including Amazon. Editorial content is not influenced by advertisers or affiliate partnerships. This disclosure is provided in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR § 255.5: Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.
Recipe Nutrition Information
This recipe is GF, DF, NF (contains coconut), SF, EF, CF (use sea salt), V, VG*
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Nourish Your Body & Soul
I encourage you to care of yourself by eating satisfying, nourishing food that is good for your body and makes you feel healthy. Protect your spirit by living authentically, moving your body, and taking time to replenish and rest. I think you might also like these recipes & posts from Recipe Idea Shop:
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
GF = Gluten free | DF = Dairy free | NF = Nut free | SF = Soy free | EF = Egg free | CF = Corn free | V = Vegetarian | VG = Vegan
Note: If you have serious allergies or sensitivities, to be considered free of these allergens, you need to use products specifically marked “gluten free,” etc. There can be cross-contamination in facilities.
This post was first published on Recipe Idea Shop November 1, 2017 and updated September 14, 2021.