RECIPE IDEA: Hot Fruited Casserole
Hey there. It’s Don at Recipe Idea Shop. When I was in college at VMI, one of my classmate’s parents had a cabin a short distance away. Mrs. Jordan would fix a Sunday afternoon meal for those of us gathered to fish or swim in the creek by the cabin. In the late fall or the early spring as the weather changed, she included this Hot Fruited Casserole as part of the menu. As a graduation gift she gave each of us a copy of her “secret” recipe. Whenever I cook this, I remember those pleasant days shared with my classmates as guests of the Jordans.
This is a delicious casserole which can be served as a side dish or as a dessert. It needs to be made a day ahead so it’s perfect for pot lucks (or as they sometimes call them here in Virginia, “covered dish”) or dinner parties. It’s especially a favorite of children of any age.
Depending on the size and appetite of the guest list, you may want to use large cans of fruit and adjust the ingredients for the sauce accordingly. To serve as a side dish, reserve the liquid from the fruit and use it instead of the sherry in making the sauce. Serves: 8 to 10 (or half that many if they are hungry college students!)
- 1 medium can of sliced pineapple
- 1 medium jar of apple rings
- 1 medium can of apricot halves
- 1 medium can of peach halves
- 1 medium can of pear halves
- 1 Tbl of flour
- 1/4 lb of butter (one stick)
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1 C sherry
- Drain the fruit and arrange in layers in a large deep casserole dish.
- Combine the butter, sugar, sherry and flour in the top of a double boiler.
- Cook over boiling water, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Pour over the fruit in the casserole.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Warm in a preheated 350F degree oven for 30 minutes or so before serving.
- Spoon into bowls or small saucers depending on the size portion desired.
- As a side dish, it’s perfect to accompany pork chops or chicken cooked on the grill.
- As a dessert, serve with a dollop of whipped cream or over a scoop of ice cream. [br] [url href=”https://recipeideashop.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/RIS_LOGO-22-e1436274250987.jpg”][img src=”https://recipeideashop.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/RIS_LOGO-22-e1436274250987.jpg” width=”300″ height=”62″ class=”alignleft size-full” title=”RIS_LOGO-2″][/url]