Recipe Idea: Island Sweet Potato Casserole
Hi. It’s Lois at Recipe Idea Shop. Island Sweet Potato Casserole was inspired by the foods Don and I ate in Costa Rica. I like to eat vegetarian meals a few times a week, and Don is always happy to eat whatever I serve. I had some leftover pineapple and and lots of sweet potatoes, and I wanted to use them up. I like sweet potatoes, coconut milk, black beans and rice together so I started with these basic ingredients and looked at my spices to see what might be complementary.
I used hot Hungarian paprika in this recipe, but you could substitute cayenne if you don’t have that. A little story about that…awhile ago a colleague gave me some Hungarian paprika as a gift because she knows I love to cook. She didn’t tell me it was hot. Since I had only had smoked paprika and sweet paprika, I didn’t even know there was such a thing! I used about a teaspoon of it in something I was making and it was so HOT! I have used it more sparingly since then.
I like cayenne, but Don doesn’t find it appealing. He loved the flavor of the hot Hungarian paprika, however. It adds flavor in addition to heat. I love it. Try it. I think you will love it, too.
I’m pleased to say that Island Sweet Potato Casserole is quite yummy. I will definitely make it again.
Read on for recipe and nutrition…
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 15.5-ounce can of black beans, rinsed
- 4 small sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 green onions, sliced (white and tender green parts only)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/8 teaspoon hot Hungarian paprika ([url href=”https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LRG0W4/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=maridesho-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B000LRG0W4&linkId=9cad4fb8066c18c5dd13afa52419cb8e” target=”_blank”]Szeged[/url]) or cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple
- 1 13.66-ounce can of coconut milk
- Heat the oven to 450F degrees.
- Place the sweet potatoes, red pepper, green onions, half the minced garlic and 2 tablespoons oil in a bowl. Stir to coat the vegetables evenly with the oil.
- Bake the vegetable mixture on a jelly roll or cookie sheet for about 20 minutes (or until tender when pierced with a fork), stirring after 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350F degrees.
- Over medium heat in a saucepan, heat the remaining oil until hot.
- Add the ginger and garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add the cloves, marjoram, paprika or cayenne pepper, and cardamom. Stir.
- Add the coconut milk, salt and pineapple. Stir and continue cooking for about 3 minutes.
- Place the rice in the bottom of a 5″ x 7″ casserole dish.
- Spread the black beans over the rice.
- Spread the cooked sweet potato mixture over the beans.
- Pour the coconut milk mixture over the sweet potato mixture.
- Bake at 350F degrees for about 30 minutes until hot and bubbly.