Mushroom Meatballs (Vegetarian) are truly the best vegetarian “meatballs” I have ever eaten. And they only take 45 minutes! Easy peasy.
Hi. It’s Lois in the kitchen at Recipe Idea Shop. These vegetarian Mushroom Meatballs have a very meaty texture and are perfect for substituting in Swedish Meatballs, one of my daughter Erin’s favorite meals. Don and I both thought they were delicious.
Our daughter-in-law made them for us awhile ago, and they were fabulous. I liked them so much, I made them again for my office holiday party.
You can use these Mushroom Meatballs in pasta sauce or a cream sauce, or put them in a gravy and use them as appetizers. The original recipe came from All Recipes.
A nice casserole dish is perfect for this recipe.
Mushroom Meatballs Recipe
- 1 pound white mushrooms (chopped into very small pieces)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Pinch salt (to sauté mushrooms)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 cup instant oatmeal
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (Panko for gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley (chopped and packed)
- 1 ounce Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, very finely (measure by weight, very finely shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper and cayenne to taste
- Pinch dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups pasta sauce
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil until hot.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan, sprinkle with salt, and cook and stir until liquid from mushrooms has evaporated.
- Add the butter, reduce heat to medium, and continue cooking and stirring mushrooms until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook until the onion is translucent, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and stir until fragrant (1 minute or so).
- Transfer the mushroom mixture to a large bowl.
- Add the parsley, bread crumbs and oatmeal to the mixture and stir to combine.
- Add one egg, salt, pepper, cayenne, oregano and nutmeg and mix thoroughly.
- Add the cheese and stir gently to combine.
- Stir in the remaining egg.
- The mixture should hold together when pressed.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate over night.
- Preheat oven to 450F degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil (oil the foil) or parchment paper.
- Form the mixture into small balls (about one inch in diameter) and roll in your hand until the meatballs are smooth.
- Place them on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly browned.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 300F degrees.
- Remove the meatballs from the baking sheet and put them into a baking dish.
Cover with meatballs with a cream sauce or Red Sauce and heat in a 300F degree oven for 30 minutes or in the microwave for 3-5 minutes. (I use the microwave.)
Mushroom Meatballs Nutrition
Want More Recipes Like This?
If you want more delicious recipes, please sign up for our free cookbook.
Pin & Share!
Please Pin and share our recipes. And tell us what you think in the comments.
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Vegetarian Swedish Meatballs
- Swedish Meatballs
- Instant Pot Vegetarian Bourguignon
- Roasted Ratatouille with Corn
- Indian Ratatouille
- Minty Greek Meatballs