Quinoa and Black Bean Salad is a flavorful, 30-minute meal.
This Quinoa and Black Bean Salad is a hearty casserole that can be served either cold or at room temperature. It is a good protein source since quinoa is a “complete” protein, and the dish also contains protein-rich black beans. It’s vegan and gluten free. And it tastes so darned good. You can be eating this in about 30 minutes.
The original recipe is one of the many wonderful recipes from Moosewood Restaurant. It is taken from their cookbook, Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites, which is one of the best cookbooks on the market.
All you need to make a complete meal is a nice green salad, a bit of fruit and a glass of wine. You will be happy as a clam.
What You Need
You will need measuring cups and spoons, a knife, cutting board, bowl for serving, and a good pan. Do yourself a favor and buy the best tools you can afford.
Quinoa and Black Bean Salad Recipe
- 1/3 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons minced scallions
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans (15-ounce can, drained and rinsed)
- 2 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper (or green bell pepper)
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh green chiles (I use jarred, diced jalapeños)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Rinse the quinoa well in a sieve under cool running water.
- Bring the water to boil in a saucepan.
Add quinoa, cover and simmer on low heat until all the water is absorbed and the quinoa is tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, lime juice, spices and scallions.
- Stir in the beans, tomatoes, peppers and chiles.
- Add the cooled quinoa and combine thoroughly.
- Adjust seasonings as desired.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Affiliate Disclosure: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook and a printable grocery shopping list.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Curried Quinoa
- Lentil Quinoa Salad Recipe
- Quinoa Fruit & Nut Salad
- Roasted Eggplant Quinoa Salad
- Eggplant Chickpea Spiced Quinoa
- Andean Quinoa Corn Salad
- Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
- Corn and Quinoa Bread