Recipe Idea: Speedy Spice Cake
Hi. It’s Lois at Recipe Idea Shop, with and amazing Spice Cake. Since today is our oldest daughter’s birthday, I thought I’d better post a cake for her birthday. I wish we could be with Abbi and actually serve her a special cake on her birthday, but we can’t this year. Happy birthday, Abbi.
This recipe comes from At My Grandmother’s Knee by Faye Porter. It’s called “Speedy Spice Cake” in the cookbook, which is comprised of contributed recipes from women across the U.S. South. The recipe was provided by Jean Smith of Mooreville, Tennesee. She says her grandmother “was known for this spice cake—she made so many that her house actually smelled like the spices.”
The first time I made Speedy Spice Cake I used two round cake pans. Then I layered the cakes, using double the topping, putting half between the layers and half on top. The cake is amazing, with or without the topping. Moist, fresh, perfect. Delightful with a cup of coffee or tea anytime of the day. I especially like it as a coffee cake for breakfast. (I do like my sugar.)
Read on for recipe and nutrition…
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 -1/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, unbeaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- In a large bowl, cream together the shortening, sugar, eggs and milk. Beat well until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, salt and spices.
- Add this mixture to the creamed mixture.
- Add the molasses and vanilla and mix well.
- Pour into a greased 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Or make it in two round cake pans and then make double the topping, putting half of it between the layers and half on top.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. “Frost” with topping below immediately.
- In a medium saucepan combine the brown sugar, butter, water and pecans.
- Cook over medium heat until the ingredients have melted.
- Pour over the hot cake and serve warm with a dollop of whipped cream or vanilla yogurt.