Stuffed Eggplant (Vegan) is such an amazing combination of flavors, with rice, lentils, a little mint, mushrooms, and pine nuts, topped by Avocado Salsa. Truly wonderful.
Vegan Stuffed Eggplant is beautiful as well as scrumptious.
This Stuffed Eggplant recipe was inspired by a similar recipe in Vegetarian Times. I used to love that magazine, but they no longer have a printed magazine. The recipes were always beautiful, interesting and unique. And most of the time they were easy. I garnished my Stuffed Eggplant with Avocado Salsa, which added a lovely depth to the dish and just 61 extra calories. All our recipes are comfort food with a healthy twist. Eggplant is plentiful now. We try to eat foods that are in season, and for health reasons, we eat vegetarian meals several times a week. I encourage you to read all about how I healed myself with food.
This meal is GF, DF, SF, EF, CF, V, VG*
I like to make this recipe in individual casserole dishes sometimes. Simple, yet elegant, white casserole dishes allow me to serve it without having to re-plate it.
The eggplant is stuffed with lentils, mushrooms and rice. It is filling and good for you. It also freezes well, and I love that. I can’t say that I am overly fond of eggplant, but this recipe is scrumptious.
What You Need
For this recipe, you need a knife, cutting board, mixing bowls, and either a casserole dish or a baking sheet. But what you really want is fun stuff, like dishes, glasses and a great stove, right?
Vegan Stuffed Eggplant Recipe
Stuffed Eggplant (Vegan)
- 2 medium eggplants (halved lengthwise)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 pound button mushrooms (chopped)
- ½ cup cooked wild rice
- 2/3 cup crisp cooked green lentils
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts (toasted)
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint (chopped)
- Heat oven to 450 F degrees.
Lightly score the edge of the eggplant 1/4 inch all the way around the cut side.
- Lightly oil a cookie sheet or pan and heat in the oven for 2 minutes.
- Place the eggplants cut side down on the hot pan.
- Bake 10 minutes.
- Flip the eggplants over and lightly coat with oil.
- Return them to the oven for another 15 minutes or so, until the flesh is tender. Let cool a few minutes.
- Heat the remaining oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Sauté the onion until beginning to brown.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and continue cooking for 3-5 minutes until tender.
Transfer the mixture to a bowl. Mix in the rice, lentils, pine nuts, allspice and cayenne.
- Scoop out the eggplant flesh, leaving ¼ inch of flesh around the outside, and add the flesh to the bowl.
Mix and return the mixture to the eggplant skins. Bake at 400F degrees 15 minutes. Top with fresh mint and Avocado Salsa (recipe below).
NOTE: Add another 45 minutes if you need to cook the rice and lentils.
Affiliate Disclosure: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love our recipes. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook and a printable grocery shopping list.
DID YOU GRAB YOUR FREE COOKBOOK & Grocery List?
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Avocado Salsa
- Baked Vegetable Stuffed Eggplant
- How to Make Sticky Rice
- Slow Cooker Red Sauce Pasta Sauce
- Minty Eggplant Rollups
- Egyptian Eggplant
- Roasted Eggplant Quinoa Salad
- Lentil Rice Stuffed Eggplant
- Don’s Eggplant Parmesan
- 3 Cheese Vegetarian Eggplant Parmesan
- Grilled Eggplant Parmesan
*GF = Gluten free | DF = Dairy free | NF = Nut free | SF = Soy free | EF = Egg free | CF = Corn free | V = Vegetarian | VG = Vegan