Swedish Meatballs, a favorite at our house. Meatballs, cream sauce, noodles. The best comfort food.
Swedish Meatballs Recipe So Good
Swedish Meatballs is one of my children’s favorite meals. My daughter Erin asks for this meal whenever she comes to visit. I usually make double the meatballs and freeze half for the next time. Since Erin’s wife Julie is vegetarian, I make a separate pan of these that are vegetarian. Check out Vegetarian Swedish Meatballs.
The original recipe came from one of my all-time favorite cookbooks, Betty Crocker’s International Cookbook. If you don’t have this cookbook, I recommend you buy one. Every recipe I have made from it is totally awesome.
Swedish Meatballs Recipe
Swedish Meatballs Recipe
Meatballs made with two meats, covered in sauce on top of noodles. Comfort food!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs (plain)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 6 tablespoons butter (or drippings from meatballs)
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 teaspoon instant beef bouillon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- snipped parsley (to garnish)
- Mix to thoroughly combine: beef, pork, bread crumbs, milk, egg, onion, salt, nutmeg and pepper. Shape mixture into 2-inch balls.
Place meatballs on ungreased jelly roll pan about 1-2 inches apart. (For easy clean-up, cover the pan with parchment paper before placing the meatballs on the pan.)
- Cook uncovered in 350F degree oven until lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
- Melt butter in a saucepan, stir in flour.
- Cook over low heat, stir constantly until mixture forms little balls.
- Slowly add the half and half and water.
- Continue stirring, add the bouillon and salt.
- Heat to boiling and continue to stir until the sauce is a thick gravy.
Place the meatballs in a glass casserole dish, cover with the sauce, sprinkle with snipped parsley and heat for a few minutes (3 minutes or so) in the microwave (or oven).
- Serve over cooked wide egg noodles with a green vegetable on the side.
You’ll need a casserole dish for this recipe. How about this one, it’s one of my favs.
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime (Shop Amazon — Give the Gift of Amazon Prime) account to buy. This posting includes affiliate links. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account.
Swedish Meatballs Nutrition
Want More Recipes Like This?
If you want more delicious recipes, please sign up for our free cookbook.
Pin & Share!
Please Pin and share our recipes. And tell us what you think in the comments.
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
BEFORE YOU GO, DID YOU GRAB YOUR FREE COOKBOOK?