Tortilla Casserole. Vegetarian. Super good. Cheesy and easy.
This Tortilla Casserole originally comes from Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant, and you can bet it’s good. Moosewood recipes are always good. It’s a very tasty side dish, and simple to make. I did jazz it up a bit with some extra veggies.
I added some red peppers and summer squash (yellow and green), and I was happy I did. I love vegetables. There is plenty of protein for the vegetarians to eat this as their main dish, too.
What You Need
You will need knives, a cutting board, cheese grater, measuring cups and spoons, a casserole dish, and a good skillet. But treat yourself and buy a whole set of good pans.
Tortilla Casserole (Vegetarian) Recipe
Cheesy, simple Tortilla Casserole.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 red pepper (diced)
- 1 zucchini squash (sliced and quartered)
- 1 yellow squash (sliced and quartered)
- 3 medium tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano or basil
- 1/2 pint heavy cream
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup Monterey Jack Cheese (grated)
- 10 6-inch flour or corn tortillas
- In a large skillet, sauté the onion until transparent.
- Add the oregano, red pepper and squash and cook another 10 minutes or so until they soften.
- Stir in the garlic and tomatoes and cook about 5 minutes until the tomatoes are soft.
- Cut the tortillas into 1/2-inch strips and stir them into the mixture.
- Add the cream, Parmesan Cheese, salt and pepper.
- Bake uncovered in a buttered casserole dish for 30 minutes.
- Top with the grated Monterey Jack cheese and return it to the oven for 5-10 minutes more, until the cheese is melted.
- Let it sit for about 5 minutes before serving.
- If you like, add salsa when you serve it.
Affiliate Disclosure: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook and a printable grocery shopping list.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Beef Enchiladas
- Taco Casserole with Black Beans and Tortilla Chips
- Mexican Chicken Soup
- Mexican Layered Dip
- Parmesan Squash Casserole
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Casserole
- Cheesy Hash Brown Potatoes Casserole
- Sausage Egg Casserole