Vegetarian Swedish Meatballs. Tasty meatballs without the meat. Packed with protein and full of flavor. Serve in cream sauce over noodles.
My Swedish Meatballs recipe is one of my daughter Erin’s favorite meals. Her spouse is vegetarian so I figured out how to make Vegetarian Swedish Meatballs a few years ago. I modified my standard Swedish Meatballs recipe to be vegetarian using vegetarian crumbles and tofu. The amount of protein in this meal is awesome. The recipe makes about 36-40 meatballs, and you can freeze some of them to use later.
I made them again recently and changed the sauce to make it dairy free and gluten free, and this meal was amazing. I thought the Cashew Cream Sauce tasted just like the cream sauce from my standard Swedish Meatballs recipe. The cashew milk made a scrumptious sauce. And my meat-loving husband said, “You can make this again!”
What You Need
For this recipe you need a knife, cutting board, measuring cups and spoons, and a heavy bottomed pan. Serve this meal in a beautiful stoneware or glass baking dish.
Vegetarian Swedish Meatballs Recipe
Vegetarian Swedish Meatballs
Delicious, "meaty" vegetarian meatballs in a creamy sauce. Dairy free and gluten free.
- 1 pound Boca Vegetarian Crumbles
- 1/2 pound extra-firm tofu (drained and crumbled)
- 3/4 cup dry bread panko crumbs (gluten free)
- 3 eggs
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup gluten free flour
- 6 tablespoons margarine (or butter if you don't need dairy free)
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups cashew milk
- 2 teaspoon instant vegetarian bouillon (I prefer Better Than Bouillon Brand)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- snipped parsley (for garnish)
- Mix all the meatball ingredients until thoroughly mixed.
- Shape mixture into 2-inch balls.
- Place meatballs on greased jelly roll pan. (For easy clean-up, cover the jelly roll pan with parchment paper before placing the meatballs on it.)
- Cook uncovered in 350-degree oven until lightly browned, about 30-40 minutes.
Melt margarine/butter in a saucepan, stir in flour.
- Cook over low heat, stir constantly until mixture forms little balls.
Slowly add the cashew milk and water.
- Continue stirring, add the bouillon and salt.
- Heat to boiling and continue to stir until the sauce is a thick gravy.
- Place the meatballs in a glass casserole dish, cover with the sauce, sprinkle with snipped parsley and heat for 2 minutes in the microwave.
- Alternatively, you could bake the meatballs in the sauce in the oven for about 15 minutes at 350F degrees.
Serve over cooked wide noodles with a green vegetable on the side.
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime (Shop Amazon — Give the Gift of Amazon Prime) account to buy. This posting includes affiliate links. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook.
Pin & Share!
Please Pin and share our recipes. And tell us what you think in the comments.
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Swedish Meatballs
- Mushroom Meatballs
- Instant Pot Vegetarian Bourguignon
- Roasted Ratatouille with Corn
- Indian Ratatouille
BEFORE YOU GO, DID YOU GRAB YOUR FREE COOKBOOK?