Scrumptious! Add a salad and some bread, and it’s a meal.
Hi. It’s Lois in the kitchen. It’s not usually cold and dreary in Virginia. In fact, it has been hotter than blazes this summer. We had very little rain this summer and everything turned brown and brittle in July and stayed that way all summer. But yesterday, it finally rained, and it’s been raining all day today, too. We really need the rain so I’m definitely not complaining!
But it was a bit cold tonight so I decided to make chili. It was yummy.
- 1 pound hamburger (lean)
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can chili beans
- 2 cans kidney beans
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 1 15-oz can tomato sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt & pepper to taste
- Saute the onion in olive oil until tender.
- Add both meats and cook until done.
- Add the chili beans without rinsing.
- Rinse all other beans and add them to the pot.
- All all the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot with shredded cheddar cheese (if desired).