Any berries will be tasty in this simple recipe.
Hi. It’s Lois in the kitchen. We had this dessert for supper tonight. Don made the shortcake and I made the berries. I changed Don’s Strawberries Romanoff from simply strawberries to a mixed berry combination of blueberries, raspberries and strawberries. Also, the original recipe calls for either Grand Marnier or Cointreau, but we didn’t have either, so I used Triple Sec. It was delicious. The shortcake comes from our strawberry shortcake recipe.
- 2 pints of mixed berries: raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, and/or blackberries (mango is good, too)
- 1/3 C granulated sugar
- 4 tsp powdered sugar, divided in half
- 1/3 C Triple Sec (or Gran Marnier or Cointreau)
- Zest of one orange or 1/2 tsp dried orange zest
- 1 C heavy (whipping) cream
- A few drops of vanilla extract
- Wash the berries and pat dry by blotting with paper towel.
- If you are using strawberries, remove stems and slice them into bite-sized pieces.
- Set aside.
- In a bowl mix the 1/3 C sugar, 2 tsp powdered sugar, orange zest and Triple Sec.
- Pour this mixture over the berries and lightly toss to be sure they are all coated with the liquid.
- Refrigerate in a covered bowl until time to serve.
- Whip the heavy cream, adding the remaining 2 tsp of powdered sugar (and a few drops of vanilla extract if desired) halfway through.
- Serve the berries over shortcake with a dollop of whipped cream, or separately without the shortcake. [br] [url href=”http://recipeideashop.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/RIS_LOGO-22-300×63.jpg”][img src=”http://recipeideashop.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/RIS_LOGO-22-300×63.jpg” width=”300″ height=”63″ class=”alignleft size-medium” title=”RIS_LOGO-2″ alt=”Recipe Idea Shop logo”][/url]