Chewy. Tasty. Filling.
Hi. It’s Lois in the kitchen. Until recently, I had never had Steel Cut Oatmeal. It takes a little time to make it, but I love the texture and flavor. I’m not a big one for sweet cereals, but if you like sugar in it, you can add a little brown sugar when you are cooking it.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ banana
- ¼ c chopped walnuts (toasted)
- In a 6-cup saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and stir in the oats and cinnamon.
- Toast the oats for 2 minutes, stirring frequently so they don't burn.
- Pour in the boiling water and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 25 minutes, without stirring.
- Add ¾ cup milk and stir to combine.
- Continue cooking for 10 minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Serve hot with the remaining milk, fruit and toasted walnuts.