The best red sauce pasta sauce you are ever gonna have, and it’s so easy. Make it in a slow cooker/crockpot.
RECIPE IDEA: Slow Cooker Red Sauce Pasta Sauce
Hi. It’s Lois in the kitchen. I have made this Red Sauce Pasta Sauce multiple times and used it in many different dishes. It’s awesome and very easy to make. I use it in Lasagna, Spaghetti, Baked Ziti and Moussaka, and it would be terrific for Pizza, Meatball Subs or anytime you are making Italian food. We can it or freeze it in meal size containers.
If you like meat in your red sauce, you can fry some ground beef, ground turkey or Italian sausage and add it to the sauce just before you serve it. Sautéed mushrooms are also good.
I make my Red Sauce Pasta Sauce in the slow cooker (crockpot) so that I don’t have to watch it while it cooks. Instead of cooking it on top of the stove for an hour, I cook it on low in the slow cooker for about 4 hours. It is delish! This recipe makes 6 quarts, or about 24 one-cup servings.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried basil or 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chopped oregano
- 1 cup chopped red bell peppers
- 1 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 3 28-ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 28-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Sauté the onions over medium heat in the olive oil until they are transparent.
- Add the bell peppers, garlic and spices and cook for a five minutes or so longer.
- Add the tomatoes, sauce, red wine and tomato paste.
- Simmer for about an hour until the sauce reduces about ⅓.