Chocolate Éclaire Cake, a relatively simple cake to create, and oh, my! Divine. Step-by-step instructions (with photos) included.
Chocolate Éclaire Cake is a real comfort food in my opinion. I am reposting this recipe because it would be perfect for your Valentine’s dinner. I originally posted it in June because June 22 is National Chocolate Éclaire Day. How cool is that? A whole day to eat chocolate éclaires! And Valentine’s Day is another opportunity. (Smile.)
Don says a Chocolate Éclaire is filled with chocolate filling—and he probably knows because he lived in France as a kid—but I like it with Homemade Vanilla Pudding so that’s how I made it. I got this easy Éclaire recipe in the 1980s from a friend, Michelle Esser. I loved it then, and I love it now. Except now I make it with fresh ingredients and homemade pudding.
What You Need
Making this recipe as a sheet cake and then splitting the cake to fill with pudding is a whole lot easier than making individual éclaires and filling them each with pudding. It’s pretty on a plate and amazingly delicious. One essential tool, however, is a good, long serrated knife. And you’ll want a great cup of coffee with it, won’t you? Whatever you buy, get the best you can afford.
Chocolate Éclaire Cake Recipe In Pictures
Chocolate Éclaire Cake Recipe
Chocolate Éclaire Cake
- 1 stick unsalted butter (8 tablespoons)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup flour
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups Homemade Vanilla Pudding (or prepared pudding)
- 8 ounces whipping cream (whipped)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (softened)
- 2 ounces unsweetened baker's chocolate (melted)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Heat oven to 400F degrees.
- Bring water and butter to boiling.
- Add flour and mix.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Grease a 9" x 13" cake pan and spread the mixture in the pan.
- Cut a hole in the center of the batter for air to escape.
- Bake for about 40 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.
- Remove pastry from oven and cool it on a wire rack for a few minutes.
- Cut the pastry in half (horizontally) so you have a top half and a bottom half.
- Mix the cold pudding with the whipped cream.
- Spread the mixture between the cooled pastry layers.
- Beat the frosting ingredients until smooth.
- Spread frosting over the top of the pastry.
You will need some Homemade Vanilla Pudding to complete this recipe.
Affiliate Disclosure: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Chocolate Éclaire Cake Nutrition Label. Each serving is about 3″ x 3″.
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook and a printable grocery shopping list.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Flourless Gluten Free Chocolate Chocolate Cake (made with quinoa)
- Gingerbread Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- Mexican Chocolate Pound Cake
- My Favorite Chocolate Cake
- My Best Carrot Cake (Gluten Free)