Chocolate Éclaire Cake, a relatively simple cake to create, and oh, my! Divine. Step-by-step instructions (with photos) included.
Chocolate Éclaire Cake, simply sumptuous!
Chocolate Éclaire Cake is a real comfort food in my opinion. I am reposting this recipe because it is a perfect dessert anytime. And because June 22 is National Chocolate Éclaire Day. How cool is that? A whole day to eat chocolate éclaires!
Don says a Chocolate Éclaire is filled with chocolate filling—and he probably knows because he lived in France as a kid—but I like it with Homemade Vanilla Pudding so that's how I made it. I got this easy Éclaire recipe in the 1980s from a friend, Michelle Esser. I loved it then, and I love it now. Except now I make it with fresh ingredients and homemade pudding.
What You Need
Making this recipe as a sheet cake and then splitting the cake to fill with pudding is a whole lot easier than making individual éclaires and filling them each with pudding. It's pretty on a plate and amazingly delicious. One essential tool, however, is a good, long serrated knife. And you'll want a great cup of coffee with it, won't you? Whatever you buy, get the best you can afford.
Chocolate Éclaire Cake Recipe In Pictures
Chocolate Éclaire Cake Recipe
Chocolate Éclaire Cake
- 1 stick unsalted butter 8 tablespoons
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup flour
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups Homemade Vanilla Pudding or prepared pudding
- 8 ounces whipping cream whipped
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 2 ounces unsweetened baker's chocolate melted
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Heat oven to 400F degrees.
- Bring water and butter to boiling.
- Add flour and mix.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Grease a 9" x 13" cake pan and spread the mixture in the pan.
- Cut a hole in the center of the batter for air to escape.
- Bake for about 40 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.
- Remove pastry from oven and cool it on a wire rack for a few minutes.
- Cut the pastry in half (horizontally) so you have a top half and a bottom half.
- Mix the cold pudding with the whipped cream.
- Spread the mixture between the cooled pastry layers.
- Beat the frosting ingredients until smooth.
- Spread frosting over the top of the pastry.
Recipe Nutrition Information
This recipe is NF, SF, CF, V*
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Nourish Your Body & Soul
I encourage you to care of yourself by eating satisfying, nourishing food that is good for your body and makes you feel healthy. Protect your spirit by living authentically, moving your body, and taking time to replenish and rest. I think you might also like these recipes & posts from Recipe Idea Shop:
- Flourless Gluten Free Chocolate Chocolate Cake (made with quinoa)
- Gingerbread Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- Mexican Chocolate Pound Cake
- My Favorite Chocolate Cake
- My Best Carrot Cake (Gluten Free)
Rate, Pin & Share!
Please Rate our recipes and posts, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
GF = Gluten free | DF = Dairy free | NF = Nut free | SF = Soy free | EF = Egg free | CF = Corn free | V = Vegetarian | VG = Vegan
Note: If you have serious allergies or sensitivities, to be considered free of these allergens, you need to use products specifically marked "gluten free," etc. There can be cross-contamination in facilities.
This post was first published on Recipe Idea Shop June 21, 2016 and updated June 22, 2021.