Don’s Homemade English Muffins are SO much better than store-bought. Warm, right from the oven. Oh goodness! Easy.
Don’s Homemade English Muffins
Hi. It’s Lois in the kitchen at Recipe Idea Shop, telling you about Don’s Homemade English Muffins (even though I have mostly taken over the baking!).
Over the years he has experimented until he was satisfied that this is the best English Muffin recipe ever! We make them a few times per year and usually make several batches during the Christmas season because we give them as gifts to our friends and relatives.
Eat immediately or freeze for later. Do not store on top of the refrigerator. Since they are fresh and have no preservatives, they mold quickly in a warm kitchen.
Don’s English Muffins Recipe
Don's Homemade English Muffins
Oh, the smell of fresh baked Homemade English Muffins. And they taste even better. Split with a fork and toast or broil.
- 2 cups hot water (not too hot or you will kill the yeast)
- 1 cup scalded milk - cooled
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 packages yeast (about 7 1/2 teaspoons)
- 8 cups flour - divided
- 1 stick unsalted butter (1/2 cup)
- cornmeal for dusting
- Dissolve the yeast in hot water for 10 minutes.
- Add the milk, honey and salt.
- Mix in half the flour. At this point you’ll have a bowl of sticky dough.
- Cover and let raise until it’s doubled in size.
Melt the butter; let it cool to the touch and mix it into the dough.
- Begin adding the rest of the flour and stop when you have ball that sticks together.
- Don’t add too much flour because the muffins will be too dry.
- Roll out the dough on a floured board or surface.
Cut out 3-inch rounds.
- Place the rounds on cookie sheets dusted with cornmeal, cover with a cloth and let them raise until doubled in size.
Now you have a choice.
Option 1: Just leave them on the cookie sheets and bake in a 350F degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Turn the pan around halfway through the baking time.
Option 2: You can butter a griddle and fry them to a golden brown.
- Let cool on racks or brown paper.
- Split with a fork and toast or broil them to eat.
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime (Shop Amazon — Give the Gift of Amazon Prime) account to buy. This posting includes affiliate links. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account.
Don’s English Muffins Nutrition
Want More Recipes Like This?
If you want more delicious recipes, please sign up for our free cookbook.
Pin & Share!
Please Pin and share our recipes. And tell us what you think in the comments.
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- French Bread
- Amazing Gluten Free French Bread
- Gluten Free Dairy Free White Bread
- The Best Basic White Bread
- Dillie Bread
BEFORE YOU GO, DID YOU GRAB YOUR FREE COOKBOOK?