Mexican Layered Dip, no cooking, and super good. Quick to make.
Mexican Layered Dip, 7 layers of tasty nostalgia, is hard to resist.
Tomorrow, November 6, is National Nachos Day. Since I don't have a nachos recipe posted, I thought I'd offer a repost of my Mexican Layered Dip as a delicious option. It's a recipe from the 1980s, and it's still one of my favorite dips.
The last time I made it my New Jersey grandkids were here visiting. My grandkids are not very adventuresome. Are yours? Anyway, the kids skipped the dip, and the adults ate most of it. Some of the grandkids like Guacamole and some do not. Some like beans; some do not. Oh, well! I loved it. The recipe calls for plain tomatoes, but you can also top it with Homemade Salsa.
Eat With Chips or Veggies
If you eat this dip with vegetables, you can cut down on the additional calories that chips add to the treat (calories for chips are not included in the Nutrition Facts label). But what the heck, I only eat stuff like this every once in awhile. Don't you? Enjoy!
What You Need
You'll need a pie plate or casserole dish, a knife and cutting board, measuring cups and spoons, and a small food processor (affiliate link). Whatever you buy, get the best you can afford.
Mexican Layered Dip
- 1 15- ounce can refried black beans (watch for vegetarian if you are serving vegetarians because most beans have lard in them)
- 2 avocados (pitted, peeled and mashed)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro or 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup taco seasoning mix
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 to matoes (chopped or 1 cup prepared salsa)
- 3 green onions (white and tender green parts only, sliced)
- ¼ cup sliced black olives
- Spread the refried beans in the bottom of a deep dish pie plate or a glass casserole dish (at least 3 inches deep).
- In a separate bowl, mix the avocado, lime juice, garlic, cilantro and salt. Spread this mixture evenly over the beans.
- In another bowl, mix the taco seasoning with the sour cream until smooth and pink. Spread this over the avocado layer.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the sour cream mixture.
- Spread the lettuce over the cheese.
- Spread the chopped tomatoes over the cheese.
- Sprinkle the onions and olives on top.
- Serve with taco chips, pretzels or raw vegetables.
Affiliate Disclosure: This website may contain affiliate marketing links, which means we may get paid commission on sales of those products or services we write about, including Amazon. Editorial content is not influenced by advertisers or affiliate partnerships. This disclosure is provided in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR § 255.5: Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.
Recipe Nutrition Information
This recipe is GF, NF, SF, EF, V, VG (leave the cheese out)*
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.
Nourish Your Body & Soul
I encourage you to care of yourself by eating satisfying, nourishing food that is good for your body and makes you feel healthy. Protect your spirit by living authentically, moving your body, and taking time to replenish and rest. I think you might also like these recipes & posts from Recipe Idea Shop:
- Shrimp with Cream Cheese Appetizer
- Crab Roll Ups
- Authentic Middle Eastern Hummus
- Deviled Eggs
- Coconut Shrimp
- Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts
- Grandma's No Cook Refrigerator Pickles
- Risotto Stuffed Peppers
- It Ain't Just The Diet
Sign Up For Updates To Get Tips, Recipes & Free Gifts
I think you're gonna love our recipes and healthy, happy posts. Sign up for our email updates to get free gifts, recipes, happy thoughts, and tips for identifying and avoiding foods that are sabotaging your health.
Rate, Pin & Share!
Please Rate our recipes and posts, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
GF = Gluten free | DF = Dairy free | NF = Nut free | SF = Soy free | EF = Egg free | CF = Corn free | V = Vegetarian | VG = Vegan
Note: If you have serious allergies or sensitivities, to be considered free of these allergens, you need to use products specifically marked "gluten free," etc. There can be cross-contamination in facilities.
This post was first published on Recipe Idea Shop June 25, 2016 and updated November 5, 2021.