RECIPE IDEA: Roasted Beet Salad with Feta
Don here, telling you about a tasty Roasted Beet Salad with Feta. It’s early summer and my favorite root vegetable is freshly picked beets by the organic farmers in the Shenandoah Valley. This entailed a trip to the Harrisonburg Farmer’s Market to fetch beautiful, dark-red beets. This recipe idea came from the Kitchen Chronicles column in the Daily News-Record a few years ago.
Lois made Roasted Beet Salad again early this week. This time, she cooked the beets on top of the stove a day or two earlier, diced them, and then roasted them at a high temperature on the outdoor grill for about 10 minutes (recipe below). Much simpler. And it avoids heating up the kitchen. It was easy and delightful. I enjoy coming home each night to her kitchen gifts. She’s the best wife I have.
Lois avoids cow’s milk unless it is certified A2 milk, which contains a different protein than most commercially produced milk because it gives her pain in her joints. When we buy feta cheese, we make sure it is made from goat’s milk because goat’s milk is always A2. Most feta in the United States is made from cow’s milk.
You don’t need any special tools for this recipe. Lois used: paring knife, medium pot, cutting board, measuring cup and spoons, wire whisk, salad spinner, and a medium bowl.
Roasted Beet Salad
- 1 C diced Roasted Beets
- 1 C chopped cilantro basil or parsley
- 1 T fresh lime juice
- 1 T olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 C crumbled feta cheese
- Toss the beets with all ingredients except the feta cheese.
- Spoon the roasted beet salad into chilled individual salad dishes or over a green salad, such as spinach.
- Pass the feta cheese to sprinkle over top of the roasted beet salad after it has been served.
Another Easy Roasted Beets Recipe
- Cut the ends off the beets and wash the beets.
- Put them in a pot of water, completely covering the beets.
- Bring the water to a boil, reduce to a medium temperature, and cook until tender, about 30-40 minutes.
- Pour the water off the beets and immediately cover the beets with cold water and a little ice.
- Let cool.
- The peel should slip right off in your fingers. If it doesn't, scrape the peel off with a knife.
- Dice the beets.
- Toss in a little olive oil, and place them in a single layer on a baking sheet topped with aluminum foil.
- Roast in a hot oven or on a hot grill (450F degrees) for about 10 minutes until starting to brown. Roasting enhances the flavor.
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime (Shop Amazon – Give the Gift of Amazon Prime) account to buy. This posting includes affiliate links.