Recipe Idea: Turkish Lentils with Lamb and Carrots. Good for you.
Hi. It’s Lois in the kitchen at Recipe Idea Shop. I spent the afternoon cooking today so I would have lots of good food to eat during the week. Don travels quite a bit and I prefer to cook for more people than just myself. If I prepare several meals on Sundays, I don’t have to worry about what I (or we) will eat the rest of the week. Today I took a Vegetarian Light recipe and modified it a bit because I had some left-over lamb. It is quite spicy so if you don’t like that, I suggest you cut the cayenne in half.
I had some lamb bones that still had quite a bit of meat on them, so I boiled the bones in 3 cups of water, then stripped the bones of the meat, cutting it into small pieces, and then cooked the lentils in the broth. If you use vegetarian broth and leave out the lamb, this is a vegan/vegetarian recipe.
Read on for recipe and nutrition…
- 1 cup green lentils
- 3 cups of water or broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion peeled and sliced very thin
- 4 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 cup fresh spinach, kale or collard greens, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 cup bits of lamb (optional)
- Add the lentils to the broth and bring to a boil.
- Immediately turn the temperature down to medium low and continue to cook the lentils for about 1/2 an hour until crisp tender (but not mushy).
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet.
- Add the sliced onions and carrots.
- Cook until the onion is carmelized and the carrots are still crisp tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and spices and cook for another minute or two to release flavors.
- Drain the cooked lentils.
- Add the lamb (if using) and lentils to the skillet, along with the spinach.
- Stir to combine.
- Cook for another 5 minutes or so to marry the flavors.
- Serve with brown rice, quinoa or pasta and some fruit. [br] [url href=”https://recipeideashop.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/RIS_LOGO-22-e1436274250987.jpg”][img src=”https://recipeideashop.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/RIS_LOGO-22-e1436274250987.jpg” width=”300″ height=”62″ class=”alignleft size-full” title=”RIS_LOGO-2″][/url]