Walnut Crusted Artichokes (Vegan). If you are looking for a unique, amazing appetizer, this is it.
Walnut Crusted Artichokes are mouthwatering.
Walnut Crusted Artichoke Hearts are ready in about 20 minutes and are SO good. I think artichokes are delightful just about any way you make them, but sautÃ©ing them with a walnut crust definitely makes my list of best appetizers. You can use canned, marinated or frozen artichokes. I especially like marinated ones because the combination of the tangy artichokes and the walnut breading is terrific.
I'm reposting the recipe because May 17 is National Walnut Day. This vegan/vegetarian recipe (modified just a little) comes from Robin Robertson's Vegan Planet (affiliate link). Great cookbook. I have three of Robertson's cookbooks, and they all have amazing recipes. She is one of my favorite cookbook authors.
What You Need
Every kitchen should have the very best tools you can afford. For this recipe, you need a small food processor, measuring cups and spoons, and a good skillet.
Walnut Crusted Artichokes Recipe
- ½ cup toasted walnut pieces
- ½ cup plain unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tablespoons gluten-free flour
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1-2 teaspoons very fine lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ¼ cup canola oil for frying
- 1 can artichoke hearts well drained and quartered
- Lemon wedges to serve
- In a small food processor, chop the walnuts until finely ground. Stop before they look "wet" or you will have walnut butter!
- Add the almond milk, flour, corn starch, lemon zest, salt and pepper and process until quite smooth. It will be thick.
- Transfer to a shallow bowl.
- Dredge the artichoke hearts in the walnut mixture until well coated.
- Heat the canola oil in a skillet and fry the coated artichokes until nicely browned on both sides, turning once (about 3-5 minutes a side).
- After cooking, drain the coated artichokes on a paper towel to absorb any excess oil.
- Serve hot with lemon wedges.
Leave a Reply