Recipe Idea: Coconut Milk Whipped Cream
Hi. It’s Lois in the kitchen at Recipe Idea Shop, telling you how to make Coconut Milk Whipped Cream.
I recently discovered that I am allergic to most cow’s milk and soy. I’m glad to know what was causing my health problems, but it is sometimes hard to eat at restaurants. One of these two items is hidden in just about everything.
Contrary to my doctor’s diagnosis, I do not have osteo-arthriitis. Milk causes me to have severe joint pain and soy causes hay fever-type responses (including swelling, which was scary). Thankfully, I have found that some soy products (soy sauce, for instance) do not cause reactions. I am still avoiding soy milk, however.
Although I get severe pain from ingesting even a little bit of milk, it doesn’t make me want to give up all desserts and chocolate! I found this idea for Coconut Milk Whipped Cream on Facebook, and I’m glad I gave it a try. It tastes just like whipped cream. It’s delicious!
The key to this recipe is to make sure you are using full fat (14g fat) coconut milk and it is well chilled. Be sure you chill it for at least 3 hours before trying to whip it. Lite Coconut Milk does not whip. (I tried that, too.)
You will need a good electric mixer. For this type of whipping, I prefer a hand mixer, and the Oster Hand Mixer is a very powerful product. But you can use your KitchenAid Stand Mixer if you want. I think it’s just a bit harder to clean up and this is such a little project. Here are the ones I have:
Wouldn’t you like to have both in your kitchen? I find it very convenient to have both kinds of mixers.
Read on for recipe and nutrition…
- 1 can coconut milk (14g fat)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons powdered (confectioner’s) sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Refrigerate the coconut milk for at least 3 hours.
- Remove the top of the can and scrape the contents into a medium bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, whip the coconut milk for about one minute.
- Add the sugar and vanilla and continue to whip the mixture until peaks form.
- Store left-overs in the refrigerator.