Chicken and Collards, an excellent Southern dish. Such deliciousness.
This is a dish I never had until I moved to the South. Since it’s National Soul Food Month, I’m posting my favorite greens recipe. Many African Americans consider it soul food. I just consider it amazingly good food. I love collards, especially with chicken. Don’t you?
Collards are a terrific source of calcium, dietary fiber, folate, iron, manganese, magnesium, niacin, phosphorus, potassium, protein, riboflavin, thiamin, vitamin A, vitamin B6, vitamin C, vitamin E and vitamin K. Not only that, but they taste great. This is an excellent recipe, originally from the cookbook Superfoods, a super duper cookbook by Dolores Riccio.
Tools You Need for this Recipe
Get yourself quality knives and excellent pans. A good cook needs tools! But what you really want is an amazing coffee machine, am I right?
Braised Chicken and Collards Recipe
Braised Chicken and Collards
- 1 pound collard greens (washed and stems removed)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup flour or 1/2 cup gluten free flour)
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary or 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary (minced)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the collards and broth in a large pot for about 10 minutes until the greens are wilted and tender. Watch this carefully to make sure the broth doesn't boil away.
- Drain the greens and set aside.
- Mix the flour, Italian seasoning and rosemary in a plastic bag.
- Toss in the chicken pieces in this mixture until thoroughly coated.
- Remove the chicken and shake off the excess coating.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet.
- Brown the chicken on one side.
- Salt and pepper it.
- When one side is browned, turn it and brown the other side.
- Continue cooking the chicken until it is cooked through.
- Add the drained collards to the pan, turning the leaves in the pan juices.
- Heat the collards until they are heated through.
- Serve with a baked sweet potato or a baked white potato. It's amazing! Enjoy.
Affiliate Disclosure: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Croatian Chicken
- Wilted Kale
- Grilled Pork Tenders
- Grilled Spatchcocked Chicken
- South Beach Grilled Salmon
- Grilled Vegetables
- Grilled Scalloped Potatoes