Slow Cooker Ginger Beef Roast makes a hearty pot roast meal, which is especially inviting on cold evenings. It's an easy slow cooker recipe you are going to love.
Have you ever heard of ginger snap gravy?
This recipe for Slow Cooker Ginger Beef Roast is a pot roast that uses ginger snaps in the sauce. My neighbor Diane told me fondly of her grandmother's Ginger Snap Gravy. Her grandma used ginger snaps to thicken and flavor her beef gravy. When Diane explained the recipe to me, I decided to try the gravy with a slow cooker pot roast. And it was amazing. Most ginger snaps contain gluten, but I'm sharing the recipe with you anyway because it's SO good. Be careful to buy the right ones.
Flavor with Ginger
I love ginger in stir fry, with chicken, in vegetables and in desserts. I use candied ginger in my squash soup. It's terrific. So I knew I would like this too. And I was right! It was very tasty and unusual, a nice change of pace for a cold day.
Slow Cooker Ginger Beef Roast Recipe Development
I cooked the dish on high in the slow cooker for an hour; then turned it down to low for three hours. If you don't have a programmable slow cooker, and you want to make this dish without fuss, I suggest cooking it on low for about seven hours. You can use a cheap light timer to turn your slow cooker on at the right time and come home to a nearly finished meal. All you have to do is make the gravy before serving, and that takes just a few minutes.
What You Need
Of course, you will need a slow cooker. They make life easier, don't they? You also need measuring cups and spoons, a knife, vegetable peeler, and a good pot or sauté pan. And ginger snaps, of course.
Slow Cooker Ginger Beef Roast with Ginger Snap Gravy Recipe (Pot Roast)
- 1 small chuck roast 2 pounds
- 6 carrots peeled and cut in chunks
- 3 large potatoes peeled and cut in chunks
- 1 medium onion peeled and cut in chunks
- 6 stalks of celery cut in chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger peeled and grated
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups beef stock
- Pam to spray the pot
- 8 gluten free ginger snap cookies
Meat & Vegetables Directions
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan. Brown the meat slightly on both sides.
- Spray a 6-quart crockpot with Pam cooking spray.
- Transfer the meat to the crockpot.
- Cook the onion in the frying pan until transparent and slightly browned.
- Add the carrots and brown them slightly.
- Dump the onions, carrots, potatoes, celery and spices into the crockpot.
- Add the beef stock. Cook on high for 1 hour, then turn it down to low and cook for 3 hours.
- Remove the meat and vegetables from the broth. Place them in a warm oven to keep hot while you make the gravy.
- Pour the broth into a saucepan.
- Crush the ginger cookies (I used a small food processor) and dump them into the broth.
- Cook on medium high until thickened.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with meat and vegetables immediately.
Recipe Nutrition Information
This recipe is GF, DF, NF, SF, EF, CF*
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Other Recipes You Might Like
- Don's Pot Roast
- Winter Pot Roast
- Easy Oven Roasted Spatchcocked Chicken
- Roasted Rosemary Chicken
- Slow Cooker Middle Eastern Chickpea and Lentil Soup
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
GF = Gluten free | DF = Dairy free | NF = Nut free | SF = Soy free | EF = Egg free | CF = Corn free | V = Vegetarian | VG = Vegan
Note: If you have serious allergies or sensitivities, to be considered free of these allergens, you need to use products specifically marked "gluten free," etc. There can be cross-contamination in facilities.
Last Updated on September 2, 2022 by Adriana