Recipe Idea: Winter Pot Roast
Don here. The Clissold family visited with us for a week over the holidays. Abbi, Brian and their three children Madeline, Charlotte and Brennan. It was a joyous time. Obviously we needed to prepare meals for all of us; so Lois got out the trusty crock pot to make a pot roast for one supper. Abbi remembered a recipe from sahmchef.blogspot.com for Fall Pot Roast in a crock pot. We looked it over and had everything on hand except for the mulling spices. We substituted a tea bag of Celestial Seasonings Harvest Spice which worked quite well.
The roast was tender and quite tasty. Even the grandchildren ate their vegetables!
- 3 pounds of chuck roast (I used boneless with nice marbling)
- 2 C apple juice (or cider)
- 1 tea bag of Celestial Seasonings Harvest Spice (or 1 T mulling spices in cheesecloth bag)
- 4 C beef stock
- ½ C apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 C honey
- 1 T herbes de provence
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ C soy sauce
- ¼ C Worcestershire sauce
- 3 t minced garlic
- Vegetables of your choice to fill the crock pot. We used:
- 8 medium red potatoes cut in quarters
- 2 yellow onions cut in quarters or eighths depending on size
- 16 small carrots whole
- 1 celery hearts cut into 1 in long pieces
- Put the roast and all the other ingredients except the vegetables into the crock pot.
- Cut and add the vegetables in whatever portion you like to fill the crock pot.
- Heat on high until bubbles begin to form; then reduce to low and cook for 5 to 6 hours until the vegetables are tender and the roast is done.
- [b][u]To serve:[/u][/b] The roast will likely fall into pieces as you remove it from the crock pot to a platter. Arrange the roast and vegetables on the serving platter using a slotted spoon to lift them from the crock pot.
- Ladle the liquid into a pitcher or gravy boat to pass.
- Add some good French or other hearty bread and a great fall or winter meal is ready to be enjoyed.[br][url href=”https://recipeideashop.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/RIS_LOGO-22-e1436274250987.jpg”][img src=”https://recipeideashop.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/RIS_LOGO-22-e1436274250987.jpg” width=”300″ height=”62″ class=”alignleft size-full” title=”RIS_LOGO-2″][/url]