Hot Blueberry Sauce (sometimes called compote) is amazing on breakfast foods like pancakes, waffles and French toast. But did you ever try it on a croissant?
Do you ever wish you could eat Blueberry Sauce every day? Well this month is “July Belongs to Blueberries Month.” You still have a few days to try this recipe while the blueberries are still in season. It is a tasty sauce to use on Pancakes, Waffles or Gluten Free Lemon Cake. It’s delicious over ice cream, Lemon Meringue Pie or even Cornbread. As you can see, this Blueberry Sauce is an adaptable fruit sauce. Some people refer to it as Fruit Compote.
I am not sure where the recipe originally came from, but I think it is one that has been in Don’s family for years. Hot Blueberry Sauce is easy to make and everyone loves it. We have another Blueberry Compote recipe that was equally as good. The two recipes are quite similar. I suggest you take a look at both of them.
What You Need
Besides the ingredients, you will need a good, heavy-bottomed pan, measuring cups and spoons and something to stir it with. I suggest you buy the best tools you can afford (or maybe a little better than you can afford!) because they will last a lifetime. Wouldn’t it be fun to serve Hot Blueberry Sauce in a Fondue Pot?
Hot Blueberry Sauce Recipe
Hot Blueberry Sauce
Warm and scrumptious. Sweet blueberry sauce.
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 1/3 cup natural organic sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon butter cut in small pieces
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1-1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- Place the blueberries, sugar and lemon juice in a medium sauce pan and cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until the berries are softened and release the juice, about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the water and cornstarch until blended. Pour into the berries and stir.
- Add the zest and continue to cook the berries until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the butter, stir.
- Serve at once over ice cream, cake, pancakes, waffles, cornbread or lemon-meringue pie.
Makes about 2 cups.
Affiliate Disclosure: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook and a printable grocery shopping list.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!