RECIPE IDEA: Chicken Sausage and Cabbage Stir Fry
Hi. It’s Lois in the kitchen, talking about Chicken Sausage and Cabbage Stir Fry. Don an I joined a CSA (community sponsored agriculture) service this summer run by Season’s Bounty Farm. And we are lovin’ it!
We only signed up for a half portion since there are only two of us at our house (besides Pepper—our dog—and he doesn’t eat much people food, although he would love to), but sometimes the quantity is still a little too much for us. A head of cabbage was included two weeks in a row (one green and one red). Now, if Getry was still here, this much cabbage wouldn’t be a problem because our African friend likes to have greens of any kind pretty much every day. But with just Don and me, it’s a little much. Thankfully, cabbage stays fresh for quite some time.
The other day, I decided to fry up some Roasted Red Pepper and Spinach Chicken Sausage that we got from Costco and put it together with shredded fried cabbage to make this Chicken Sausage and Cabbage Stir Fry. What a wonderful pairing! It’s a great combination of deliciousness, and would be perfect on a cold winter’s evening, too. The sausage is lower in fat (only 6g per link) than pork sausage, so we usually buy it.
I suggest you try this recipe and leave a comment about how you liked it or what you would do to change it. After all, recipes are just an idea!
Read on for recipe and nutrition…
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
- 1/2 head of cabbage, shredded or sliced thin (about 4 cups)
- 3 Roasted Red Pepper & Spinach Chicken Sausages (90g each), cut in 1-inch rounds
- Brown the sausage pieces in a large frying pan over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and stir frequently until the cabbage is crisp tender and starting to brown, about 15 minutes.
- Add a little water or oil if the pan gets too dry.