RECIPE IDEA: Momma Betty’s Sausage Egg Casserole
Hi. It’s Lois in the kitchen at Recipe Idea Shop. I found this recipe in Momma Betty’s (my mother-in-law) casserole cookbook, comprised of lots of handwritten, delicious recipes. It’s a good make-ahead dish for company because you mix it up the night before, refrigerate it and then just pop it in the oven in the morning. Smells and tastes amazing.
- 6 slices of bread (cubed or cut in strips)
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- Brown and drain the sausage, and set aside to cool.
- Spray a 5″ x 7″ glass baking dish with Pam vegetable oil spray.
- Layer bread cubes, meat, cheese.
- In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, milk, salt and pepper.
- Beat until smooth.
- Pour egg mixture over layered mixture.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate over night.
- Bake at 350F degrees for 45 minutes (covered).
- Remove foil and bake for another 10-15 minutes until nicely browned and the casserole is set. Serve hot.