Southern Green Bean Casserole is a delightful recipe I learned from my mother-in-law, Momma Betty. It has cheese and sugar and loads of fat. But what the heck. Thanksgiving only comes once a year, right? No mushrooms, no soup, no French fried onions. Just pure, deliciousness.
Momma Betty’s Southern Green Bean Casserole
Hi. It’s Lois at Recipe Idea Shop, telling you about Momma Betty’s Southern Green Bean Casserole. Don’s mom (Momma Betty) was born in the South, where recipes generally include sugar and either mayonnaise or sour cream. This recipe is no exception.
My family is from the North, and our Mushroom Green Bean Casserole is made with Campbell’s Mushroom Soup and French’s Original French Fried Onions. I like both recipes. Half our kids like Momma Betty’s version and half like my mom’s casserole so we generally alternate the recipe (one version for Thanksgiving and one for Christmas).
How Southern Green Bean Casserole Came to Our Family
When Don was a kid in the 1960s, the Moms would get together and share recipes. Momma Betty’s Southern Green Bean Casserole came from Mrs. Tuttle, and we’re all glad she shared it. As simple as it is, especially when all the other cooking goes on for a Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner, Momma Betty’s Southern Green Bean Casserole gets our kids to eat their vegetables. This casserole is a tradition at our house during the holidays when turkey is served, especially if Don has anything to say about it. (He doesn’t care for the Mushroom Green Bean Casserole.)
And, more importantly, you can mix it up ahead, refrigerate it, and then pop it in the oven 45 minutes before you want to eat. We always make our turkey in a free-standing, Nesco Turkey Roaster, leaving the oven free for all the sides to be baked. This is a casserole you should only eat every once in awhile. It is very high in fat and calories, but super tasty!
You will need some Kellogg’s Cornflake Crumbs to make it. They seem to be hard to find. But you can get them on Amazon.
I know you’re gonna wanna eat this. Check out the recipe…
Momma Betty’s Southern Green Bean Casserole Recipe
Southern Green Bean Casserole
- One bag of frozen or 2 cans French style green beans
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 small onions
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pint of sour cream
- 8 ounces Swiss cheese
- 1 cup corn flake crumbs
- Grate the onion into a small bowl (or chop using a food processor) and set aside.
- Grate the Swiss cheese and set aside.
- In a small skillet, melt the butter over low heat and make a paste of the flour, sugar, salt and grated onion.
- Remove from heat and add the sour cream and Swiss cheese.
- Thaw, drain and pat dry the green beans and spread them evenly in a shallow baking dish, about 1-1/2 quart size.
- Spread the paste over the green beans and cover with a thin layer of corn flake crumbs
- Bake at 350F degrees for about 45 minutes until hot. The casserole will be bubbly and the corn flake crumbs slightly browned.
You know it's a Southern American recipe because it has sugar and sour cream in it!
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime (Shop Amazon – Give the Gift of Amazon Prime) account to buy. This posting includes affiliate links.
Momma Betty’s Southern Green Bean Casserole Nutrition Label
Want More Recipes Like This?
If you want more delicious recipes, please sign up for our free cookbook.
Pin & Share!
Please Pin and share our recipes. And tell us what you think in the comments.
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Northern Green Bean Casserole
- Traditional Sage Stuffing
- Cornbread Stuffing With Dates Cranberries and Sausage
- How to Make Mashed Potatoes
- Fruit Cocktail Salad (the kids love this one)
- Don’s Famous Favorite Pecan Pie
- Roasted Pumpkin Pie
BEFORE YOU GO, DID YOU GRAB YOUR FREE COOKBOOK?