White Bean and Barley Stew is a simple vegan soup that will make you say, “Mmmmm.” Good, whole foods. And it’s super easy. All it takes is a little sautéing and simmering.
The first time I made this White Bean and Barley Stew, I took it to a service day at Shiloh Quaker Camp. The “crew” was planting trees around the pond. I did the cooking. It was good but I felt like it needed a little something added. The next time I made it, I added a teaspoon of fennel seeds to the recipe and it was absolutely yummy. So that’s how I make it all the time now.
The recipe, with a few modifications, comes from a wonderful cookbook, The Tastes of Ayurveda by Amrita Sondhi. This cookbook tells you how to balance the ingredients to create the right amount of elements (air, fire, earth) to improve your health. Every recipe I have tried is super good. I have to study it more to figure out what type of person I am and what ingredients I should use, though. Sondhi gives alternative ingredients to work with your body type. I heartily recommend the cookbook!
What You Need
You will need a knife, cutting board, measuring cups and spoons and a good soup pot or Dutch oven. Do yourself a favor and get a full set of pots and pans. You need them.
White Bean and Barley Stew Recipe
White Bean and Barley Stew
A simple, flavorful bean soup.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 large russet potato peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes can used canned, diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped green or red peppers
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups cannellini white kidney beans or navy beans, cooked al dente
- 1/4 cup barley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 1/2 teaspoon fresh
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a large pot on medium heat.
- Add onions, celery, potato, carrots and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic, tomatoes and bell peppers and continue cooking for 3 minutes.
- Add stock, beans, barley, fennel, thyme and pepper.
- Simmer for 40 minutes until barley is cooked through.
- Season with salt and pepper as desired and serve garnished with parsley.
Affiliate Disclosure: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook and a printable grocery shopping list.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Mediterranean Chickpea Stew
- Vegetable Dill Stew
- Moosewood’s Tilghman Island Stew
- Vegan Brunswick Stew
- French Vegetable Stew