Wild Mushroom Gruyere Quiche. Earthy, scrumptious breakfast.
Wild mushroom and gruyere quiche perfect for weekend morning.
Don here. Lois and I keep a few cartons of liquid eggs on hand for making quick scrambled egg breakfasts. On one of the cartons was the recipe for Wild Mushroom and GruyÃ¨re Quiche. We had some dried porcini and fresh portobello mushrooms on hand so I thought we should try it. The dried mushrooms were soaked in white wine over night to reconstitute them. It only takes an hour or so to reconstitute dried mushrooms, and you can use water or broth in your recipes.
We also had a ready-to-bake pie crust in the freezer which made it easy to prepare this meal in about an hour and a quarter. (I'd much prefer the homemade pie crust, however.) We enjoyed the robust "earthy" flavor of the wild mushrooms.
What You Need
For this recipe, you need a pie plate and pie weights. As always, we recommend that you buy the best products you can afford. And make them beautiful, if possible!
Wild Mushroom and Gruyere Quiche Recipe
Wild Mushroom and Gruyère Quiche Recipe
- 1 cup grated Gruyère cheese (or any good Swiss cheese)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 pound assorted fresh wild mushrooms, such as shitake, oyster, crimini, chanterelle - I used dried reconstituted porcini and Portobello mushrooms (chopped)
- 1 cup liquid egg product (or 4 whole eggs)
- 1 cup cream
- 3 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes (chopped )
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped basil
- 1 pie crust, ready to bake
- Heat oven to 450F degrees.
- Press either homemade or prepared pie crust into a 9-inch pie plate. I prefer glass or the ceramic one pictured.
- Cover the bottom with foil and pie weights.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes or until the edge just begins to brown. (With the foil and weights the bottom of the crust might not bake. So I take the foil off and put it back into the oven for another 2 - 3 minutes.)
- Sprinkle the bottom of the crust with the grated cheese.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 375F degrees.
- In a sauté pan, sauté the onion in the olive oil just until it softens.
- Add the mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes, stirring occasionally until the mushrooms are soft and the onions start to brown.
- Take it off the heat.
- In a large bowl combine the egg product and cream.
- Mix in the mushroom mixture and pour it into the pie crust.
- Sprinkle the chopped basil over the top.
- Bake 30 - 35 minutes until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.