South Beach Cheesy Frittata. Easy. Tasty. Good protein. And it’s a South Beach Diet Phase 1 recipe.
It’s that time of year again. Don and I are “resetting” our metabolism with the South Beach Diet. Today, he made us the South Beach Cheesy Frittata. Don makes the best Saturday breakfasts. A frittata takes a bit of time to make it, but it’s really good and worth the effort! You need to watch it carefully when it’s on the stove. Lots of good protein. Serve it with a little fruit and some toast (unless you are actually on the diet because you can’t have those in the first two weeks) or a side of sliced tomatoes.
I find that a frittata is a good breakfast for a Saturday morning. We always take a little more time with breakfast when we don’t have to rush off someplace. Cutting up the vegetables the night before can save you time in the morning, which would make it easier to make on a work day.
What You Need
For this recipe, you need a good cast iron skillet or a baking dish that heats evenly, a knife, cutting board, measuring cups and spoons and a cheese grater. But what you really want is a good cuppa coffee, right?
Cheesy Frittata Recipe
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup sliced onion
- 1/2 red bell pepper (diced)
- 1/2 cup zucchini (diced)
- 2 small plum tomatoes (diced)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh basil (chopped)
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup Egg Beaters
- 1/2 cup 1% cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3/4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- Coat a cast iron 10" skillet (or another oven-proof skillet) with olive oil and heat over medium-low heat until hot.
- Sauté the onion, red pepper and zucchini until the vegetables are lightly browned (2-3 minutes).
- Add the tomatoes, basil and pepper and stir to combine.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes and remove from the heat.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Combine Egg Beaters, cottage cheese and milk in a blender; blend until smooth.
- Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables.
- Cover and cook on medium-low heat until the bottom is set and the top is slightly wet.
- Put the skillet under the broiler and broil until the top is set (2-3 minutes).
Sprinkle with cheese and broil until the cheese melts.
Affiliate Disclosure:Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook and a printable grocery shopping list.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
South Beach Cheesy Frittata. Deliciously filling. #cheesyfrittata; #southbeachcheesyfrittata; #frittatarecipes; #glutenfree; #recipes; #recipeideashop
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Tomato Basil Pie
- Asparagus Tomato Frittata
- Spinach Red Pepper Frittata
- Smoked Salmon Frittata
- Mushroom Omelet
BEFORE YOU GO, DID YOU GRAB YOUR FREE COOKBOOK?