Barley with Green Beans Parmesan. Vegetarian delight. Less than an hour to make this filling, scrumptious meal.
Barley with Green Beans Parmesan—Diabetic Friendly
Hi. It’s Lois at Recipe Idea Shop. letting you in on a little secret while also giving you a delicious recipe for Barley with Green Beans Parmesan.
I am a Type 2 Diabetic. I’ve discovered that if I eat mostly vegetarian meals, I can better maintain my blood sugar. Who knew? Over the weekend I did some research into the Eat Right for Your Blood Type diet. I am blood type A (which should eat mostly vegetarian meals); my husband is blood type O (and he needs to eat beef).
The recommendations for my blood type do not often overlap Don’s blood type recommendations. But since he is very healthy and has no health issues, my needs supersede his. 🙂 Type O should not eat barley, but Type A can eat barley, and this is a grain that I really like. So tonight I made Barley with Green Beans Parmesan to accompany grilled salmon. It was very tasty and satisfying. I am not supposed to eat cheese, but I put it in anyway. I use Pecorino Romano, which is a stronger flavored, sheep’s cheese similar to Parmesan. The meal was very tasty and satisfying.
This recipe is from my Superfoods cookbook by Dolores Riccio. I love this cookbook. The recipes in this cookbook are always delicious. This one was no exception. Barley with Green Beans Parmesan is a Blood Type A recipe only if you eliminate the cheese, though. And that would make it vegan.
Barley with Green Beans Parmesan Recipe
Barley with Green Beans Parmesan
Barley with Green Beans Parmesan is an excellent side dish or main dish that is chewy and crunchy. So satisfying.
- 1/2 cup pearl barley (rinsed and drained)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 10 ounces fresh or frozen green beans (trimmed, sliced and steamed to tender crisp)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese or Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts (toasted)
- In a medium pot, add 1 quart of water and the salt.
- Bring the water to a boil and add the barley.
- Reduce the heat to medium high and continue to boil the barley until the grains are tender but not mushy (about 35 minutes).
- Drain, but reserve a few tablespoons of the liquid in case you need to add it at the end to reheat the dish.
- Heat the oil in a skillet or saucepan.
- Sauté the onion in the oil until softened.
Add the spices (oregano, basil, pepper) and stir.
- Add the green beans and barley and stir to combine.
Toast the pine nuts under your broiler or in a dry skillet on the stove. Watch them carefully and remove them when they first start to turn a little brown. They burn easily!
- Add the parsley, toasted pine nuts and cheese to the casserole and stir to combine.
Heat over medium heat a minute or two and serve hot immediately.[
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime (Shop Amazon — Give the Gift of Amazon Prime) account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Barley with Green Beans Parmesan Nutrition
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook.
Pin & Share!
Please Pin and share our recipes. And tell us what you think in the comments.
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Barley Risotto
- French Barley Salad
- White Bean and Barley Stew
- Chicken Squash and Barley Casserole
- Risotto Stuffed Peppers
- Saffron Scented Risotto