Butternut Squash Soup (with Thyme, Basil & Sage). Creamy scrumptious soup. Easy peasy.
Butternut Squash Soup
Hi. It’s Lois in the kitchen at Recipe Idea Shop, talking about an old favorite, Butternut Squash Soup. Tonight was a good night for soup.
Actually, I think any night is a good night for soup. The Butternut Squash Soup I made was delicious. The combination of spices—thyme, basil and sage—gave it a robust flavor. We paired that with a fresh artichoke with butter and some scrumptious bread from the European Market. Sometimes we eat it with homemade Dillie Bread (it’s super good).
We were watching Taevi (age 2) tonight, but she was exhausted after supper and fell asleep on the stairs when trying to get to Papaw Don. She was just too tired to make it all the way up the stairs, I guess.
Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
Butternut Squash Soup
This Butternut Squash Soup is creamy and savory.
- 1 large Butternut Squash
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme (or ½ teaspoon dried, minced)
- 2 teaspoons fresh sage (chopped)
- 2 Tablespoons fresh basil (minced or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups milk
- Pepper to taste
- Peel the squash and remove the seeds.
Cut the squash into cubes and steam until tender.
Sauté the onions until the onions are transparent (5-10 minutes). Add the garlic and continue cooking for 30 seconds.
- Mix in the spices and the flour.
- Add the wine and continue cooking for a minute or two, stirring to mix.
- Add one cup of milk and continue cooking until the mixture starts to thicken.
Place the squash in a food processor or blender and pulse to purée.
- Transfer the onion and spice mixture to the food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add the remaining milk, and blend.
- Heat gently just before serving.
- Adjust the seasonings, if necessary.
I do not remember where I found this recipe originally. It is likely a Moosewood Restaurant recipe that I modified.
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime (Shop Amazon — Give the Gift of Amazon Prime) account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Butternut Squash Soup Nutrition
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook.
Pin & Share!
Please Pin and share our recipes. And tell us what you think in the comments.
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Smokin’ Butternut Squash Soup
- Harvest Butternut Squash Soup
- Vegan Gluten Free Butternut Squash Soup
- Gingery Butternut Squash Soup
- Butternut Squash Vichyssoise Soup
BEFORE YOU GO, DID YOU GRAB YOUR FREE COOKBOOK?