Moosewood’s Tilghman Island Stew, a vegan recipe from the Moosewood Restaurant folks, re-creates the flavor of a good fish stew without including fish. (Hint: It’s the Old Bay Seasoning.)
Moosewood’s Tilghman Island Stew is a vegan and gluten free meal that comes from one of the Moosewood Collective’s cookbooks. I can’t remember which one, but like all Moosewood recipes, this one is terrific. It’s a bit spicy, and full of good-for-you vegetables.
Although you can make it entirely on top of the stove, which is what I did, you can also put it in the crockpot slow cooker. To do that, you would sauté the onions, garlic, spices and celery, and then dump everything into the slow cooker and cook it on low for about two hours. I would hold the green beans, kale and zucchini until the last half hour to keep them bright and crisp, however. Also, wait to pour the lemon juice in until the very end. Lemon loses its flavor if you cook it very long.
The original recipe says it serves 4 to 6, but it filled my whole 6-quart crockpot, and it fed 6 people on Saturday night and about 20 (small portions) the next day. Everyone raved about it. This is a wonderful vegan stew. Tilghman Island Stew has everything you need for a meal, all in one pot. The Old Bay’s seasoning makes it reminiscent of crab cakes without including any seafood.
What You Need
For this recipe, you need a knife, cutting board, measuring cups and spoons, and a soup pot (or possibly a slow cooker). Whatever you buy, get the best you can afford. And don’t forget to buy some super soup bowls.
Moosewood’s Tilghman Island Stew Recipe
Moosewood's Tilghman Island Stew
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons Old Bay seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes with juice
- 4 cups peeled & cubed sweet potatoes
- 6 cups water (or vegetable stock)
- 2 cubes vegetable bouillon (if not using stock)
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup chopped red bell peppers (or green pepper)
- 2 cups stemmed and halved green beans
- 4 cups stemmed and chopped kale
- 2 zucchini (sliced in rounds and then quartered)
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 scallions (sliced, white and tender green parts only)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan or Pecorino Romano Cheese (optional; of course, cheese is not vegan)
In a soup pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions and sauté until they are translucent.
Add the garlic, celery, thyme, Old Bay seasoning, and pepper.
- Cook about 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add a little of the water to prevent sticking, if necessary.
Add the tomatoes, sweet potatoes, vegetable stock (or water and bouillon), and bay leaves, and heat to boiling.
Add the corn and red peppers, and cook until the vegetables are just tender.
- Add the green beans, kale and zucchini and cook for about 8-10 minutes until the beans are crisp tender and the kale is wilted but still bright green.
- Stir in the soy sauce and lemon juice.
- Remove and discard the bay leaves.
- Serve with grated Parmesan cheese (optional) and chopped scallions.
Affiliate Disclosure: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook and a printable grocery shopping list.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Black Eyed Peas & Kale (slow cooker)
- Vegan Brunswick Stew (slow cooker)
- Tomato Red Sauce/Pasta Sauce (slow cooker)
- Slow Cooker Corned Beef & Cabbage
- Chicago Style Italian Beef (Slow Cooker)