Carrot Lemon Thyme Soup, inspired by a NYT recipe, is a creamy vegan soup that is bursting with deep flavor. It’s low calorie and filled with goodness.
This Smoky Carrot Lemon Thyme Soup contains a “secret” ingredient that boosts the nutrition and flavor. It took me about half an hour to make this beautiful soup. Since January is National Soup Month, I’m sharing it with you today. Since it is inspired by a Melissa Clark’s, Lemony Carrot and Cauliflower Soup, you might be able to guess the secret ingredient. Yes, it is cauliflower.
I didn’t have all the ingredients for Melissa’s recipe, so I switched up the spices. Adding a little lemon zest, lemon juice and smoked paprika at the end to finish the soup takes this soup from “It’s good” to “This soup is SUPER good!” And, golly! I think that technique is terrific.
The soup is flavorful before adding these ingredients, but when you add them, it really pops. So, bravo, Melissa Clark!
The original recipe called for Miso, but I generally don’t have Miso on hand. I do have soy sauce, so I substituted a little soy for the Miso. I was also kind of tired of coriander and I didn’t have the seed (I only had ground coriander), so I decided to leave it out and use thyme and sage instead. When the soup was ready to eat, I topped each serving with a pinch of lemon zest, about a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice, little smoky paprika, a few green scallion pieces, and a few Homemade Croutons. And it was fabulous! Beautiful, too, right?
What You Need
Blending the soup before serving it, makes it creamy. I used our Cuisinart Immersion Blender (which I absolutely love because you don’t have to transfer the soup to the blender and make a huge mess. You just blend it right in the pot. Easy peasy.) It tastes hearty and creamy even though it is vegan and gluten free. Besides the blender, you will need a knife, cutting board, vegetable peeler (if you don’t like the bitter skin of the carrot), measuring cups and spoons, and a good soup pot. Plus some wonderful serving dishes, right?
Carrot Lemon Thyme Soup
Carrot Lemon Thyme Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves (dried)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon sage (dried leaf)
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced, about 1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic (about 1 teaspoon minced)
- 6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon Lite soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 large carrots (cleaned, peeled and cut in 2-inch pieces)
- 1 small cauliflower (trimmed and cut into small pieces)
Garnish (This is the best part; don't leave it out.)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoky paprika
- 2 scallions (white and green parts only, sliced)
- zest of one lemon
- juice of one lemon (about 1/4 cup)
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a Dutch oven or soup pot until hot.
- Add the thyme and sage and continue heating for about 1 minute.
- Add the chopped onion and sauté until the onion is transparent.
- Add the garlic and stir, heating for about 30 seconds.
- Add the water, soy sauce, salt, carrots and cauliflower and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and continue cooking until the vegetables are tender, about 10-12 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender (or a regular blender), blend the soup until thoroughly blended.
Serve hot, topped with 1 teaspoon lemon juice, a pinch of lemon zest, a pinch of smoky paprika, a few sliced scallions, and a few Homemade Croutons (if desired).
Affiliate Disclosure: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook and a printable grocery shopping list.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Coconut Carrot Ginger Soup
- Butternut Squash Soup
- Smokin’ Butternut Squash Soup
- Harvest Butternut Squash Soup
- Vegan Gluten Free Butternut Squash Soup
- Gingery Butternut Squash Soup
- Butternut Squash Vichyssoise Soup