Recipe Idea: Cheesy Hash Brown Potatoes Casserole
Hi. It’s Lois in the kitchen at Recipe Idea Shop. I found this Cheesy Hash Brown Potatoes Casserole recipe in Momma Betty’s (Don’s Mom) casserole book. Momma Betty would have been 91 last week, so in honor of her, I am posting this scrumptious Cheesy Hash Brown Potatoes Casserole recipe.
Momma Betty’s recipes are always delicious. I changed the potatoes to fresh shredded potatoes; she used frozen shredded hash brown potatoes. And I added fresh, chopped broccoli and red pepper. You can use any kind of cheese you like. Momma Betty used cheddar. I used Swiss. Very tasty—and easy, especially with a food processor!
The good thing is: the protein increased with the addition of the veggies.
I do not understand, however, why the sodium went up so much with my version. It’s not only because of the Cheddar cheese vs. Swiss. It has to do with the original potatoes, which I think is pretty weird. Do you know why the sodium jumped so high with my version?
This is the food processor I use and love. The Cuisinart food processor makes shredding potatoes a breeze! I also have the storage box and specialty blades, which are helpful. You might like them, too.
Read on for recipe and nutrition:
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and shredded (or 1 bag frozen, shredded potatoes)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper
- 1 small head of broccoli, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese (or cheddar)
- 1 8-oz can Carnation milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Mix all of the ingredients except the potatoes until thoroughly combined.
- Lightly spray a 7-inch by 9-inch casserole dish with cooking spray (oil).
- Put the potatoes in the dish and pour the mixture over the potatoes.
- Cover with alumninum foil and bake at 350F degrees for about 60 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 10-15 minutes more until lightly browned.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.