This Mushroom Green Bean Casserole is a national favorite in the United States. It was invented by a Campbell Soup employee in 1955 and has been popular ever since.
Mushroom Green Bean Casserole with French Fried Onions is a Northern favorite.
We call this favorite holiday recipe Northern Mushroom Green Bean Casserole because it's the one I grew up with and I'm from the North (Wisconsin). Don likes the Southern version, of course, since he's a Southern boy. Two of our children like Momma Betty's Green Bean Casserole (Southern recipe), and the other two like this recipe. I'm reposting just in time for Thanksgiving.
Mushroom Green Bean Casserole Invented by Campbell Soup Employee
Dorcas Reilly, the Campbell Soup employee who invented this casserole, died in October 2018 at the age of 92. The original recipe card from 1955 was donated in 2002 to the National Inventors Hall of Fame. How cool is that?
I like both green bean casseroles equally well, but now that I can't eat cheese or gluten, I don't eat either. This Mushroom Green Bean Casserole recipe is super easy. I just looked at the container of French's Original French Fried Onions (affiliate link), and the recipe is right on the box.
Canned Soup in a Recipe?
This is the casserole that my family of origin always served at Thanksgiving and Christmas.
What You Need
You will need a knife, cutting board, measuring cups and spoons, and a casserole dish. I usually use a Pyrex loaf pan (affiliate link) for Mushroom Green Bean Casserole, but a pretty baking dish like this heart-shaped Le Creuset Casserole Dish (affiliate link) would be fun.
Mushroom Green Bean Casserole with French Fried Onions Recipe
- 1 package 12 ounces frozen French Green Beans; the thin sliced kind
- 2 cans Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup
- ½ cup chopped onion optional
- ½ cup milk
- 1 small can French's French Fried Onion Rings
- Combine the green beans, soup, onion and milk and pour it into a 3-quart baking dish.
- Top with French fried onion rings.
- Bake at 350F degrees for 45 minutes until hot and bubbly.
More Recipes To Try
- Southern Green Bean Casserole
- Traditional Sage Stuffing
- Cornbread Stuffing With Dates Cranberries and Sausage
- Fruit Cocktail Salad (the kids love this one)
- Don's Famous Favorite Pecan Pie
- Roasted Pumpkin Pie